Good headphones for metal/gaming?
May 9, 2009 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ajjekko

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I hate decisions. I don't know what headphones to buy. I would be using these for metal more. I like metal the most, progressive, etc. but I also like some hiphop and electro, drum and bass, techno, etc. I also like gaming, and don't care if the cans are open or closed. Although closed would be nicer, I have a budget of up to $300. I want to buy the PA2V2 pocket amp for now because I can't afford a desktop amp for now. So what would be the absolute best headphone for me? I've looked into the Ultrasone H-FI 780, Beyer DT880, Senn HD600, and Grado SR325i. I'm leaning towards the H-FI 780 because I heard that they're good for any music, really. I use the HD555 and I'm so bored of them now. I would like a new, better experience that would be just very fun to listen to my music. I used to own the SR-60s and kinda miss them now. However, they were uncomfortable so if I buy the SR325i I want to buy the HD414 pads. I liked that they were lightweight and pretty portable, so that would help because I listen to my iPod as well. Recommendations are appreciated
biggrin.gif

TLDR
1. $300 max
2. Good bass, good for metal and gaming
3. Comfy/transportable?

May 9, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #2 of 12
Cant go wrong with the HFI-780, if you dont find them comfy you can always buy the Beyer pad's
smily_headphones1.gif
They are great for the genre's you mentioned and gaming also.

May 10, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 12
The HFI-780s are great cans. Rock and metal sound just awesome through them. They've got plenty of detail, in-your-face sound and excellent bass. Plus, you don't really need an amp to enjoy them with a portable source.

May 10, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 12
I'm definitely gonna buy them but I heard that replacing the earpads with the DT250 pads will make it a better listening experience and make them more comfortable to wear. I don't know how to do that myself but if someone wants to sell me that I'll gladly buy it.

May 11, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #7 of 12
I guess you'll find all information you need in this thread.

May 11, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 12
So, I'm in a very similar situation. I listen to mostly metal and techno, particular melodic death metal, and trance. My budget is sadly, even smaller than his, at approximately $150. I've been looking at some Sennheiser HD555's for $110 from tigerdirect and some AKG k271 mkII's around on eBay for $145. I'm not a tremendous audiophile, simply because I am young and don't have the money to spend too much on such things, but I do love my music, and want the best possible experience for the money.

Closed would be preferred, as I'm moving into a dorm come August, and would like to enjoy my music regardless of my roommate's tastes, without disturbing him and enjoying my music in peace, for extended periods of time, thus comfort is a must.

Some good quality, sturdy cans would be great, as I hate purchasing a pair every year to two years. This will be the first pair of closed-phones I have had in a long, long time, as for the past year and a half I've been using the Bose in-ear headphones, and have been pretty pleased with them all things considered. However, it is now time to upgrade.

Any input would be thoroughly appreciated!
Thanks!

May 12, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #9 of 12
I'm gonna miss my HD555. I suggest you go for it, they're only $80 on eBay. They're a great headphone for anything, really. I listen to mostly metal and techno as well and I enjoyed them for almost everything. With the rest of the money you could buy a portable amplifier such as the PA2V2, or maybe even the Fiio E5.

May 12, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #10 of 12
The 780's are great for metal, but suck for FPS gaming - very small, cramped soundstage. The 880's are the best gaming headphone that i've tried. Not as good for metal as the 780's, but not bad.

Nov 26, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Almoxil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HFI-780s are great cans. Rock and metal sound just awesome through them. They've got plenty of detail, in-your-face sound and excellent bass. Plus, you don't really need an amp to enjoy them with a portable source.

whats better the dt880 or the 780 ultrasones
what is best ultrasone model excluding the editions series

and are any ultrasones closed cans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back