Good headphones for iPod
May 1, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #31 of 36
All right, thanks to all you guys for help!
biggrin.gif

(Next time, I shall lurk a bit more)

May 1, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #33 of 36
For another take, I personally am not a fan at all of amps with an Ipod. I just don't like the clutter it adds and no matter what it hurts portability.

IEM-wise the suggestion for Shure E500 would probably be solid. Westone UM2 is also very strong. There are other IEMs available that offer their own strengths and weaknesses--but I personally prefer the two above overall.

For portable closed HD25-1 and ATH-ES7 are largely hailed as the top 2 sounding choices.

As others have stated you have options so the more info you can give about what type of sound signature you're looking for is key. Don't believe that you have to have an amp for great Ipod sound though--it's a myth.

I would not recommend *any* open headphones though. Ipods pretty much by definition you're going to be out and about and you're going to kill your ears with non-isolating headphones. KSC75/KSC35 are solid for the money but they don't isolate at all and if you have more money to spend you'd probably be happier with a higher-end portable closed or IEM. They're virtually a must-buy for the money though.

May 1, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichinichi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've a feeling you're about to discover that the head-fi scene in singapore is larger than you imagine!

Ditto
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #35 of 36
well i've just gone through this entire thread.

and it looks like you vetrans have missed what i think is one of the most important questions.

do you transit? on the bus and stuff? see, my assumption is that since it's for a nano, it's mostly for walking around and transit. so would not hearing your surroundings be beneficial to you? if so, then the shure e500's mentioned above may actually be what you are really after.

May 2, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Culverin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i've just gone through this entire thread.

and it looks like you vetrans have missed what i think is one of the most important questions.

do you transit? on the bus and stuff? see, my assumption is that since it's for a nano, it's mostly for walking around and transit. so would not hearing your surroundings be beneficial to you? if so, then the shure e500's mentioned above may actually be what you are really after.

Sorry, but I don't prefer earphones, like the E500. There's a cramped feeling with earphones, and they don't have as good noise blockage as headphones. Thanks for the tip though, Culverin.

I do transit a lot, but I don't mind bulk at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back