Good headphones for huge ears?
Jun 21, 2015 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TadFROG

New Head-Fier
I was looking at the Sennheiser G4ME ONE headphones but I was wondering if they would fit over my ears. My ears have dimensions of 8 cm height and 6.5 cm width. If they wouldn't be that comfortable could you please recommend me some(cheap) ones that would be comfortable? Thanks!

Jun 22, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #4 of 11
A second hand Sennheiser HD580 is the only headphone that comes to mind. That one has oval ear cups in which most ears will fit.

There should be cheaper alternatives that are comfortable enoug, but it's not easy to find headphones with such large ear-cups.

Jun 22, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 11
  Under $200 and I will be buying in America

You'll have to check the earcup dimensions and be OK with large headphones with a full length cable, however you  should check out the K 553.  For the next 12 hours it's available from Massdrop for only $120 shipped.  See:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k553-pro-studio-headphone

Jun 23, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #6 of 11
  A second hand Sennheiser HD580 is the only headphone that comes to mind. That one has oval ear cups in which most ears will fit.

The 580 pads are fine in height, but the width makes me wonder why Sennheiser didn't make them wider.  They sit so weird that it's hard to tell if they're supposed to sit on the ear, or if you're supposed to "hook" the back part of your ear into the pad.  And I don't have huge ears.

Philips SHP9500 has massive ear pads and are around $50-$75, OP.  They're open and leak a huge amount of sound, if that is a concern.  

AD700x or AD900x might be comfortable.  Your ears wouldn't fit fully in the pads, but they kind of sit like big on-ear pads anyway.  Just something to look into.

Jun 23, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #7 of 11
From what I remember the Sennheiser HD 380 Pros have huge pads, bigger than HD558/598 pads and HD650/600 pads.

EDIT: The Brainwavz HM5 and K702 (Same earpads in Q701?) have huge earpads too.

Some Measurements from other thread ("Size Matters - Earpad Hole Measurements for Over-Ear Headphones")

HD380Pro:
Height: 76mm
Width: 50 mm

HM5:
Height: 70 mm
Width: 47mm

K702 (Q701?)
Height: 73mm
Width: 68mm

Jun 23, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #8 of 11
  The 580 pads are fine in height, but the width makes me wonder why Sennheiser didn't make them wider.  They sit so weird that it's hard to tell if they're supposed to sit on the ear, or if you're supposed to "hook" the back part of your ear into the pad.  And I don't have huge ears.

Some people don't like larger earpads protruding forward into their cheek area; sweat accumulation and the fact that you don't wash them after every use can mean acne for more sensitive people, for starters.

I'm not sure why you found the fit weird though, HD580/6x0 earpads fit around most ears just fine, although I push them a little bit forward to have a little of that "hook" effect around the earlobes since I also bend the headband frame for a looser fit. The more forward (towards the front of the head) position of the drivers relative to the ear canals also helps imaging.

Jun 23, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #9 of 11

Some people don't like larger earpads protruding forward into their cheek area; 

I'm not sure why you found the fit weird though, HD580/6x0 earpads fit around most ears just fine, although I push them a little bit forward to have a little of that "hook" effect around the earlobes since I also bend the headband frame for a looser fit. 

You already mention why I find the fit weird.  They feel like they barely cover the front of my ear canal area.   

And you also do the "hook" thing.  If I just put them on my ears, the back part sits on the back of my ears, so doing the hook thing makes them sit better.  I can really hook my 558, and I don't know if that's due to a slightly different pad size, or more likely it's just because the pads on my 558 are more worn than the ones on the 580.  The extra fluffiness makes them feel nicer but actually fit worse.

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #10 of 11
  You already mention why I find the fit weird.  They feel like they barely cover the front of my ear canal area.   

And you also do the "hook" thing.  If I just put them on my ears, the back part sits on the back of my ears, so doing the hook thing makes them sit better.  I can really hook my 558, and I don't know if that's due to a slightly different pad size, or more likely it's just because the pads on my 558 are more worn than the ones on the 580.  The extra fluffiness makes them feel nicer but actually fit worse.

On my head they fully cover the area forward from the ear canals; like I said, I only "hook" them to the earlobes partly for additional grip (not that I headbang with headphones on) as I wear them with just as much grip as an HD800, and also partly to fix the soundstage since it puts the drivers forward of the earcanals (just like the angled earpads on AKGs, or the angled mounts on Beyers/Ultrasones, HD700/800). If in your case they barely cover the front when hooked, your earlobes might be a little larger than average and sit flatter or protrude outwards further (either way it can greatly affect the fit).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back