Good headphones for gaming?
Aug 13, 2012 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

InfiniteZr0

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of headphones that would be good for gaming. Budget is about $100 but I can go over if it makes a big difference Basically I'd use pretty much just for gaming. Mostly games like Battlefield 3 where there's lots of gunfire popping and explosions. I also like to listen to the kind of music you hear in like movie trailers.

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #3 of 14
Yes, threads like these are very, very common. Also, nearly all of them have a single point of weakness - "headphone for gaming".
It doesn't work that way, really; any good headphone that is liked for it's music playback, that doesn't have a super-strange emphasis on bass (like sony xb-500 or whatever) or "lacking somethingsomething", it'll be more than good for gaming.

There's two things to keep in mind. One, game devs are lousy when it comes to sound. it's often super-compressed to horrible bitrates, there's still your basic artefacts of "popular"-style compression (popping, loudness, shallowness). Try listening to game soundtracks (the ones from the actual game's data folders, not the accompanying OST disc), you'd be surprised how bad it sounds on it's own.
Two, a lot of games don't care how sounds will play. There's oversaturation, overlapping, there's by design a lack of anything you'd call a "balanced mix & spread". You mentioned battlefield 3. I've seen it played, and frankly what it sounds like is "trrratatatatatarattrttrtraatatatata bang bang trtatrtrtatrtrtr". It's not a musical pleasure, it's just noise. And for playing back noise - no offense - you can take any headphone that mulches on the basic levels of audio representation.

My advice - if it is for gaming and "movie trailer music" (BWAAAAAAAAAAM... BWAAAAAAAAAM... BWAAAAAAAAAM), then just look at the nearest sennheiser/logitech/turtle beach gaming headset, wiht a mic and all. It's made for gamers, it looks cool, it will let you chat online easy, and it makes some kind of a sound. That's all that most AAA games need. To go deeper and look for "audiophile"-class headphones, you really need to be into music in the first place. If you are worried about spatiality - knowing where the enemy is by sound - then any headphone will be better at that than the typical 2.1 speaker systems on the desk next to the display. You will have a slight advantage by default. Likewise, no matter how, no headphone can substitute a properly balanced 5.1 / 7.1 surround speaker set-up, no matter what it advertises. It can come close, sure. You can get used to it, learn it. Regardless, it will always be a tiny disadvantage. Do you care about something that's nearly unnoticeable?

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
I'm looking for a pair of headphones that would be good for gaming. Budget is about $100 but I can go over if it makes a big difference Basically I'd use pretty much just for gaming. Mostly games like Battlefield 3 where there's lots of gunfire popping and explosions. I also like to listen to the kind of music you hear in like movie trailers.

No offense but spending money on a pair of audiophile headphones without intending to spend at least half its time on music has... always seemed somewhat pointless to me. Not that spending more money than necessary is new practice.

Seems like you want a pair of headphones that have plenty of bass. Any decent closed headphone will offer good amount of bass, but no headphones in general can mimic the kind of bass that a pair of speakers can. 

Oh yeah and like the others said, there are way too many similar topics like this. 

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #5 of 14
No offense but spending money on a pair of audiophile headphones without intending to spend at least half its time on music has... always seemed somewhat pointless to me.

Agreed. Having compared inexpensive to not-so-inexpensive models, when it comes to gaming, as long as they have a reasonably coherent soundstage and decent midrange/treble response, you're going to be fine. The only headphones I can think of that fail that to any extent are the ATH-ESW9, but they're still miles better than most "gaming headsets." So basically pick whatever is comfortable and suits you.

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

I'm assuming your PC gaming with a computer, using on-board audio.
Samson SR850 headphones (some people get the Creative WOW cushion ear pads for the SR850).
Asus Xonar DG sound card.

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
Samson SR850 headphones (some people get the Creative WOW cushion ear pads for the SR850).

Yup. Everybody raves about AD-700s but the bass frankly sucks. 50mm drivers on the Samson gives a very nice punch and not too boomy. Samson is the real deal. 

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

This is indeed a good recommendation. 

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #10 of 14
all the gaming haters!!

gamer here, games, like music, has differin audio qualities, good headphones make good games sound great. should u get a 1000$ headphone for pc gaming? no! but something with good range and impact will make u happy

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #11 of 14
@InfiniteZr0
Take a look at Mad Lust Envy's thread on the subject.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-8-11-2012-images-added

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #12 of 14
I still cant believe the Beyer headzone system is over 1k. 
eek.gif

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
I still cant believe the Beyer headzone system is over 1k. 
eek.gif

It's only a third of the price of a typical Smyth Realiser system!

Head-Fi gets really expensive, really quickly. Sorry about your wallet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back