good headphones for 120-180 USD
Apr 2, 2012 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

gabemcl

New Head-Fier

im new to the world of headphones and my most expensive pair prior to this would be a 70 dollar pair of klipsch IEMs. i dont really know what im doing and as a 16 year old i have had to spend months saving to get this money and i dont want to be displeased with my first purchase

Ps. i dont have enough money for a headphone amp and will be using them with an ipod, and would prefer a pair of closed Supra aural cans.

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 14
www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

House of Marley Exodus ~149$

review: http://youtu.be/edKSYswPDzU

Check them out. I don't personally own those nor have I heard them either, but check them anyways since they match to your needs pretty well.

Edit: Another model that you should check out is the V-Moda M80, if you get them used or find them cheap they are within your budget. (195$ new in amazon.com)

review: http://youtu.be/aAwm-14yBDc

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 14
You may also want to check out the Ultrasone HFI-780. I've never tried them personally but I hear very good words about them. They are currently $189.85 on Amazon, but you can probably get some used for cheaper.

Apr 2, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 14
Sennheiser HD 25 II, good value, solid and many use! There is the new yamaha in this price range that has glorious review, you should check it out. Retail is more like 250$ but you may find it @200$ its the YAMAHA HPH 200

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:

im new to the world of headphones and my most expensive pair prior to this would be a 70 dollar pair of klipsch IEMs. i dont really know what im doing and as a 16 year old i have had to spend months saving to get this money and i dont want to be displeased with my first purchase

Ps. i dont have enough money for a headphone amp and will be using them with an ipod, and would prefer a pair of closed Supra aural cans.

What type of sound signature and what kinds of music do you prefer?  Will you be using them for anything other than music?

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #8 of 14
just for music, and i listen to a lot of different stuff, talking heads, pink floyd, beck, a lot of electronic stuff, i listen to one or 2 hip hop albums but im not a huge fan so that aspect matters the least.

Apr 3, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #9 of 14
You will probably want to read the two headphone buying guides that are linked in the first post of this thread.

If you want to isolate sound for those who are near you, then you will probably need a closed headphone.  If not either a closed or open can is an option.  In any case you will need an efficient headphone with a low impedance/ohm rating.

Option #1--go good (headphone wise) and cheap ($50 at Amazon): Superlux HD668B Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones

Option #2--get a rebadged class can for under $100 at far less than it used to cost (despite the fact that has been improved a little): Creative Aurvana Live! closed headphones.  Here is a review:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

or the Samson SR850 Semi-Open Studio Reference Headphones

Option #3--spend most or all of your budget
--BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones (closed)--includes case and helpful accessories that are rarely offered for no extra charge
--KRK KNS8400 Studio Headphones (closed)
--Shure SRH840 Professional Monitoring Earphones (closed)

Option #4--go Grado (all are open).  Grado headphones are made is the USA and have a unique and bright "sitting on stage with the band" sound.  People tend to love or hate it.  After listening to one, the best starter/value within your budget is the $99 Grado Prestige Series SR80i Stereo Headphone or its slightly toned down cousin the Alessandro MS-1.

All the cans I have listed are quality headphones, but that does not mean that each is for you.  You can read about all these cans and many more by clicking on the "head gear" tab at the top of this page.  I suggest that you do so and listen to as many as you can before you buy.

Apr 3, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #11 of 14
Apple products seem to do a decent job of powering headphones.

Superlux HD681, HD662, HD668B.
Samson SR850 (made by Superlux).

Apr 3, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
One more worth consideration at the upper edge of your budget: Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones (open)

+1 for the HD558. Also mentioning the ATH-M50S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back