Good headphones - Bad laptop output (compared to my smartphone output)
Oct 30, 2015 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

somunames

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I posted about it before, but now I wanted to add more details:
I bought a pair of Audio-Technica M40x headphones. 
I plugged them to my laptop and, well, the sound is just a sound you'd expect from a simple headphone.
But I thought that because of their price, the sound I hear should be better.
At first I thought that these earphones are just expensive for no reason (99$), but then I tried it with my smartphone: LG G2, and the sound is so much better. (It's weird that the smartphone output is much better than my laptop, but my laptop is very cheap so..
bigsmile_face.gif
).

I just wanted to ask again, what should I do/get to make the sound from the laptop just as great as it is from the smartphone.

Thanks 

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 13
Are you using Foobar2000? If so, you can download WASAPI for Foobar2000.

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 13
  Hello,

I posted about it before, but now I wanted to add more details:
I bought a pair of Audio-Technica M40x headphones. 
I plugged them to my laptop and, well, the sound is just a sound you'd expect from a simple headphone.
But I thought that because of their price, the sound I hear should be better.
At first I thought that these earphones are just expensive for no reason (99$), but then I tried it with my smartphone: LG G2, and the sound is so much better. (It's weird that the smartphone output is much better than my laptop, but my laptop is very cheap so..
bigsmile_face.gif
).

I just wanted to ask again, what should I do/get to make the sound from the laptop just as great as it is from the smartphone.

Thanks 

Thanks, but it's not so cheap for me :) , 76$

There's not a whole lot you can do. The suggestion to used WASAPI for foobar isn't going to help at all, and is pretty silly to suggest. The problem is in the hardware (foobar is software). Laptop's headphone jacks are really bad and prone to all kinds of interference and noise. You probably hear a slight hissing noise you don't hear on your G2 either. 

Unfortunately, fixing this requires you to totally bypass the laptop's sound card and create the sound somewhere else. This will require you to get an external DAC/amp that won't be as noisy. A suggestion of the fiio isn't too bad and there are a few budget units as well that might be a bit cheaper. But unfortunately, this is one of those cases where if you want better sound you'll need to put some money into a new gadget. 

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 13
Originally Posted by elwappo99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There's not a whole lot you can do. The suggestion to used WASAPI for foobar isn't going to help at all, and is pretty silly to suggest. The problem is in the hardware (foobar is software). Laptop's headphone jacks are really bad and prone to all kinds of interference and noise. You probably hear a slight hissing noise you don't hear on your G2 either. 

Unfortunately, fixing this requires you to totally bypass the laptop's sound card and create the sound somewhere else. This will require you to get an external DAC/amp that won't be as noisy. A suggestion of the fiio isn't too bad and there are a few budget units as well that might be a bit cheaper. But unfortunately, this is one of those cases where if you want better sound you'll need to put some money into a new gadget. 

You have to be sure there's no software trouble (or wrong config) going on before blaming the hardware.
It's pretty easy to mess things up with typical audio software
(Turbo Bass Boost, Ultra Surround Mode, Random EQ, and so on...)

Installing a fresh foobar2000 and avoiding DS in always a good starting point.

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 13
Thank you guys, I will first try to check out if foobar can improve it, and if not, can you suggest me a budget DAC/AMP or maybe, even a cheap USB sound card (It might work as well, no?)

So my budget is probably 25$ max. hope it's enough to improve something :)

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #9 of 13
  I forgot to mention that I listen to audio mostly from youtube, and foobar is a media player, I can't listen to youtube through it right? so it's not so helpful

Does you computer have any audio settings window? 
One of these or similar: link

If so, be sure to uncheck all effects, and set flat equalization.

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #11 of 13
  how do I enter these settings in Windows 10?

It depends, but you can check this:

- First plug your headphones.

- Then right click on the little speaker on the bottom right hand corner of your screen and then click on Playback Devices.
  A 'Sound' window should open.

- Double click on the device you are currently using. (It could be named "Headphones")
  It should open the properties window. 

- Go to enhancements tab and disable all audio enhancements by checking the “Disable all enhancements” checkbox and then clicking apply.

Nov 7, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #13 of 13
  Thank you, I disabled all sound effects. 
I also saw Dolby thing. should I turn it off?

Yes.

If you see an equalizer, leave it flat (or disabled as well)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back