Good headphones around $70
Oct 10, 2006 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Meyvn

Headphoneus Supremus
AKG K81DJ. Plenty of bass, great for rock, et cetera, can be had for $55 if you make an offer to fascination products on eBay, according to some. At worst, it's $60 at Amazon. That's still under your $70 mark, and they fit the bill perfectly.

Oct 10, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #2 of 11
Hi, I've been here a while but this is my first post. I tried searching the forum but didn't find exactly what I was looking for, so here goes:

I need a new pair of headphones for around $75, no amp. My main sources will be my Audigy 2 ZS Notebook card and portable players. I listen to a lot of rock, mostly progressive, hard rock, metal, and grunge. For example, I listen to a lot of Tool, Metallica, Pearl Jam, SOAD, Alice in Chains, etc. I am a bit of a bass addict so that's an important requirement for any headphones I buy. Also, I play computer games a fair amount, usually FPSes, racers, and sports sims. Furthermore, I wear glasses and have a decent-sized skull so comfort is another consideration.

So I'm looking a good pair of phones that can meet all of the above requirements. I don't like the styling on the Grado phones so they're out. I'd prefer a closed circumaural design but I'm flexible on that end.

Finally, I live in Garden City, NY. Is there a store where I can check out decent headphones? I mean all the large electronics retailers only seem to stock Sony/Phillips/Koss. I'd like to test out Sennheiser/AKG/etc. phones for myself before I buy any.

Thanks in advance for any help. If this exact question has been asked before, I apologize.

Oct 10, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #4 of 11
Meyvn went time travelling o_O;;

There has been several posts I've seen whereby people went time-travelling. Is there a system bug in the boards somewhere?

Oct 10, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #5 of 11
when i saw this thread something screamed at me, "GRADO SR60!"... maybe that was me
rolleyes.gif

it is like a cent cheaper than $70 and it is by a L O N G way better than anything else in this price range.

Oct 10, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nothing101
when i saw this thread something screamed at me, "GRADO SR60!"... maybe that was me
rolleyes.gif

it is like a cent cheaper than $70 and it is by a L O N G way better than anything else in this price range.

Not for a closed circumaural can, which is what the OP is after. (Not Mevyn, the Original OP...)

Oh, and to Electric Tool. Welcome to head-fi; sorry 'bout your wallet!

Oct 10, 2006 at 8:19 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricTool
I don't like the styling on the Grado phones so they're out. I'd prefer a closed circumaural design but I'm flexible on that end.

There goes the SR60 suggestion.
tongue.gif

There are many good sub-$100 offerings that cater to different sonic tastes. It's good to be budget-fi.

Follow Meyvn's suggestion and search the forum for K81DJ. There are multiple threads devoted to them. I haven't heard the AKG K81DJ but from what I've read about them, they seem to be what you're looking for.

Oct 10, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for the suggestions so far. The K81DJ was one of the 'phones I was looking at. Judging from the ginormous K81 thread, everyone seems to like them. They're comfortable for prolonged use, right? Others I was looking into were the Sennheiser HD485 and the HD435. But from the pictures they look really big so I don't know. I'd like to see them in person though.

Oct 10, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #10 of 11
When you do some headband bending, K81DJ can be decently comfortable. However if you wear glasses, they are real hell to wear. My Grados are supercomfy next to them.
basshead.gif

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #11 of 11
Hello again. I kind of just disappeared, didn't I? In between exams, laziness and other commitments, I never went through with my headphone purchase. I was about to get the K81's but reading up on them more indicated that they might not be the best for people with glasses. My main reservation against larger headphones was that I'd look weird out in the crowd (I've seen people wearing large 'phones in public and they do look odd) but I've come up with a plan. Whenever I'm out in the crowd, I'll use a cheap pair of earphones and use a nicer pair of headphones for listening while relaxing.

To that end, I'd appreciate some recommendations for cheap earphones. Also, I seem to like these headphones right now:

Sennheiser HD435/465
Sennheiser EH 250/350

Sony V6/V600 (I like the V700's too but they seem a tad expensive)

In addition to the requirements I listed in my original post (2nd from top), I'd like to mention that I'd appreciate 'phones that don't catch my hair in them when I'm wearing them! When I grow my hair out, I don't want the 'phones pulling my hair out, so to speak.

Once again, thanks in advance for any help and sorry for digging up an old topic. I didn't want to start a new one asking essentially the same question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back