Good headphone/in-ear monitor for making music on a PC?
Nov 28, 2007 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Iamgag7

New Head-Fier
I would post this in the other forum for headphones, but, they often discuss MP3 usage, ect.. for headphones... I am looking for Computer usage because I will be making music with these headphones... using software programs i.e. cubase, pro tools, fl studio, ect..

can anybody recommend me a nice pair for under $150 that will be as true to the audio itself without coloring it...this way my mixes will sound better on a wide range of stereos, speakers, ect?

i will NOT be using them for recording instruments, ect... so i guess i do not need noise canceling ones, if that's the case..

thank you!

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 9
I don't have much production experience (a few songs, mostly for my own enjoyment), but the common opinion seems to be that if you do everything on headphones, the results are not going to be good. A lot of things (stereo separation, reverb, bass perception, etc.) are presented very differently on headphones than they are on speakers.

Nov 29, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #4 of 9
i know they will prob sound diff on speakers, but im looking for the LEAST different... i mean... it would be much worse difference to produce a mix with bass happy headphones (thus i would make the mix have less low freq), then it would sound flat on speakers, COMPARED to making a mix made on fairly balanced/flat response headphones and the difference from those headphones to speakers would be less...

anyhow.. how are those er-4p's? better than using over the ear headphones?

Nov 29, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 9
Won't find much for under $150 that sounds remotely close to being flat...IMO it doesn't really matter what you get in this case, just make sure you know where the faults of the cans are. That way you can compensate for them in your mix/master. I've never liked mixing with headphones...even good ones. Unless you're spending well over $500 it's hard to get cans that have a flat response.

I also suggest trying out your mixes on speakers before mastering. It will save you from putting out a song with WAYYYY too much bass. You may think you can keep it under control...but it's hard. Especially anything under 50 hz. You'll get a very boomy sound. Even cheap speakers will work as long as long as they have a sub. You worried more about the amount of bass then the quality of it.

I find a spectral analyzer is also a huge help when working with 'phones.

Nov 30, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 9
so what do you think about the Ultimate ears super fi 5 pro? I ordered them, then canceled them, but the company was unable to stop the shipping...so its arriving soon to my house..

i use mdr v7700 right now for over the head earphones, but i wanted to try some in-ear monitors...

while the Fi 5 pro don't have the flatest response as the etymotics... i read in many reviews they sound nicer...

but that means they are colored probably...so.. i dont know..

Keep them or not? :|

Nov 30, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #7 of 9
I've yet to see an IEM that has a good high end response. Bass is usually pretty good, though. With an IEM you'll probably find that until you reach the very low frequencies (like below 30-40 hz) you get good response. THe main problem you'll run into is having a "boomy" sound, which is all the low frequencies. When you master the track make sure to lop off anything below around 40 Hz. That way you can be sure those frequencies aren't there.

Again, if possible monitor your mixes through good speakers at least once or twice to get a good idea of how your mix really sounds. Just burn it to a CD and take it to a friends' house or your school...anyone with some decent speakers.

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:36 AM Post #8 of 9
Etymotic is the best bet,
when I'm doing sound editing, I always use my Ety ER-6i, which has the most analytical and detailed sound - However I don't really find it comfortable for portable/normal listening. The isolation really help when you need to focus in intensive sound editing job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back