Good headphone for under $300
Aug 24, 2012 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

phitat

New Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a set that's good for ALL kind of music. This will be my first set of serious headphones so I want to choose carefully because I'm on a budget too. I've been looking all over the forum and the SE215, MDR-EX600, as well as the XBA-3 have very good reviews, and they fall in my price range also (100-250). I need a set that's good for a very wide genre of music, I listen to country, alternative, soft rock, hard rock, metal, pop, techno, electric, and some rap. I tried the search function and most of the thread are based on certain type of music and not all of them together. Sometime I like to crank up my music too. I'm really not sure what would be appropriate for this situation, so I really need some advice on this. Thank you in advance for all the help. 

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 19
D2000

Ultrasones 750 Pro / 900 Pro

V-MODA M100 ( Sept releasing ) - if u want to wait and check how they fair

I admire the HE-400...orthos :)

Cheerz!

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 19
HD25 sounds good already plugged to ipod, sure there are some improvement by upgrading he source/amp

HD25 is nice on faster paced music and PRaT demanding music like hard rock, metal, pop etc. For the slower ones like country, alternative or slow/soft rock it's acceptable but there are better choices

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 19
Have you considered the HiFiMAN HE300? Heard them at the Toronto HeadFi meet and they're pretty awesome
Other great options
- vModa M-80 - liked them more than the HD25 - ended up selling the HD25 after I got the M80 - i'd stay away from the P5 - definitely don't really need an amp for these
- HiFiMAN HE400 used - awesome bang for the buck
Thant's all I can think of for now.

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #9 of 19
Even though I listen to all kinds of music I am gonna be mainly using these for techno, pop, and pretty much music with punchy bass and midbass, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna listen to these kind of music loud too so I want headphones that can perform at loud level. Thanks for all the enlightenment so far folks! 

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #10 of 19
The HE400 will blow your socks off with a good amp.
Quote:
Even though I listen to all kinds of music I am gonna be mainly using these for techno, pop, and pretty much music with punchy bass and midbass, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna listen to these kind of music loud too so I want headphones that can perform at loud level. Thanks for all the enlightenment so far folks! 

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:
I know the ones I mentioned above are IEMs but I wouldn't mind headphones either. Something like the B&W P5 because they're portable.

the p5 are nice but not worth the price tag imo. one of my buddy has one and i comapred it to my beyerdynamic dt1350 and the dt1350 dounds way better throughout the entire spectrum in my opinion. the only drawback of the 1350 for me is the clamping force

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:
 the p5 are nice but not worth the price tag imo. one of my buddy has one and i comapred it to my beyerdynamic dt1350 and the dt1350 dounds way better throughout the entire spectrum in my opinion. the only drawback of the 1350 for me is the clamping force

it has a different characteristics, dt1350 is precise, clear and resolving, while the p5 is smooth mellow and midcentric

Aug 25, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
I was thinking of the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II. Is it a good choice for all the music I listen to? Do I need and Amp or anything to make these headphones better?

No headphone exists in that price range (or maybe at any price) that sounds great with 'all' kinds of music,
in my experience.

It wouldn't make sense, either.
Open headphones for airy, flowing chamber music
violin and harpsichord
are not going to be optimal for listening to
Electric Wizard or Rage v. the Machine
for instance.

It starts with the kind of instruments being used,
the space in which it's recorded,
what kind of sound the producer and the band want
what kind of headphones, monitor speakers, and microphones
are being used in the recording

anyway

The Senn HD25 I ii  happen to sound very good with
"techno, pop, and pretty much music with punchy bass and midbass",
(your description above),
and they can be driven loud - really loud.

Pretty near indestructible as far as headphones go;
they really shine for portable use as well.

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #15 of 19
It sounds like the HD25-1 II would be ideal in my situation, should I by an amp to make these sound better? this is gonna be mainly for desktop use with my laptop and occasionally with my iPod. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back