Good headphone for modding?
Mar 17, 2012 at 5:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Drastion

100+ Head-Fier
I have my two main headphones now and looking to try some modding. I dont want to screw up my headphones I have since I doubt I could improve on what they are. Those being a akg q701 and m audio q40. So I wanted to get another set to try out things on.

I did a small mod if you can even call it that to my q40. I put some foam in the earpad to give them some more room and streatched the headband out. Since the moment I put them on my ears instantly began to itch.

Denons and the t50rp seem like popular choices. I dont want to make wooden cups or anything just mods to stock parts. So cheper modding would be prefered. The 50s seem to be the one but I am not even sure what orthos are but it does sound inteesting.

Mar 17, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
I have my two main headphones now and looking to try some modding. I dont want to screw up my headphones I have since I doubt I could improve on what they are. Those being a akg q701 and m audio q40. So I wanted to get another set to try out things on.
I did a small mod if you can even call it that to my q40. I put some foam in the earpad to give them some more room and streatched the headband out. Since the moment I put them on my ears instantly began to itch.
Denons and the t50rp seem like popular choices. I dont want to make wooden cups or anything just mods to stock parts. So cheper modding would be prefered. The 50s seem to be the one but I am not even sure what orthos are but it does sound inteesting.

The T50RP and Grados are some of the most heavily modded ones around here, documentation wise. The T50RP has a massive load of mods that can be done. I'd start there. You can get them used for $60~80 easily, new for not much more.

Very best,

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #6 of 14
Yes and in addition to the T50RP, there are enough grado parts availible from different sellers for you to literally build your own pair from nothing if you so desired. My own pair of modded SR-225's will have nothing stock in them but the metal inside the headband by the time I'm done. Everything else including the drivers has been replaced.

So yeah, I second the Grado SR-60/80.

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #8 of 14
Never really looked into grados. I will now though. I really love the open sound of the q701. Now either an open or closed design.

I am guessin making angled drivers would be quite hard. Would making my own ear pads that put the ear cups more forward and at an angle be the same?

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #9 of 14
Denon AH-D2000 or AH-D5000. MarkL mods are very popular. That said, modding any headphone substantially decreases their resale value, outside of maybe MarkL modded Denons. 

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #10 of 14
I agree with others' recommendations about the Fostex T50RP.  That set of cans has a cult following.

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #11 of 14
Looks like the t50rp is a good idea. Cheap enough that if I screw it up it wont make me cry. I just wish they were easier to drive but that's common with planars I quess.

Does anyone know if there is a mod guide. Not one that just tells you how but why you are doing each mod. That way I have a better idea of how to tune them. I want to make them good for metal. I know just going with grado would probally be smarter. Just from what I read the t50rp would be good because planar are suposed to be very fast.

The more I read on grados I will probally get them too. I just don't want to start collecting these things. So far its a bit to much fun trying new headphones out.

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #12 of 14
Drastion, I've modded both, and the T50 is a better way to go if you want something to tinker with. Lot's of info in the T50 wow thread and I'm pretty sure there is a Wiki too, and they really arent that hard to drive. I just got a V-Moda cable for mine which has a mini rather than the stock 1/4 plug and my Clip can drive them. They sound better amped, but they sound pretty good unamped via the Clip...Enjoy.

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #13 of 14
Fostex T50RP modding summary is here, everything you need!

http://www.head-fi.org/a/fostex-t50rp-modification-summary-links-wiki

Take your time to read and absorb the info and have fun!

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
Looks like the t50rp is a good idea. Cheap enough that if I screw it up it wont make me cry. I just wish they were easier to drive but that's common with planars I quess.
Does anyone know if there is a mod guide. Not one that just tells you how but why you are doing each mod. That way I have a better idea of how to tune them. I want to make them good for metal. I know just going with grado would probally be smarter. Just from what I read the t50rp would be good because planar are suposed to be very fast.
The more I read on grados I will probally get them too. I just don't want to start collecting these things. So far its a bit to much fun trying new headphones out.

Oooo, I love my T50rp's for metal. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back