Good Headphone Amp for iPOD/Line Out to Car Stereo?
Feb 3, 2005 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

y2jdmbfan

100+ Head-Fier
Guys,

I've got a relay switch installed in my 05 Acura TL to let me switch the XM radio over to a Line-Input source I created. I'm an EE, so I know what I am doing as far as that stuff goes. My Rio Karma died and I picked up an iPOD photo and Zen Touch to test to see what I liked/sounded better. I tested them in the car using the headphone jack outputs. I also have a signal level booster in line with the input I made. I found that the Zen sounds a bit better, fuller range of frequencies to my ear, more highs and lows, than the iPOD. Today I tried using my dock for the iPOD's untouched line-out and I found the sound to be way too loud and distorted. I am thinking I may not even need the signal booster with the iPOD when using the Sik-Din with a line-out on the iPOD. However I was hoping that by using the SR-71 I would be able to get an even better sound at least equal to the Zen if not better. It would be iPod->Sik-Din-> SR-71-> Line-Input of Car-Stereo. What are your guys opinions on this situation? Would the SR-71 do anything for me in this situation. Any suggestions would be helpful...I loved my Karma, but the thing doesn't compare to the size, navigation, and display of the new iPod Photo....(Zen Touch) is too big...

Thanks,

Y2J

Feb 3, 2005 at 4:33 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by y2jdmbfan
Today I tried using my dock for the iPOD's untouched line-out and I found the sound to be way too loud and distorted.

Er...turn down the volume on your stereo?
580smile.gif

Seriously though it sounds like your homegrown line-in might need some tweaking. I'd work on that before bothering with an amp.

Feb 3, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 4
I'm going to remove the signal level booster once I decide if I am keeping the iPod. I have a feeling there isn't much processing done between the XM tuner and Nav unit, which is where I put the relay, on the XM to bypass it for Line-In when needed, which is why I was thinking an amp might help quality. I should try removing the booster first, it's just a pain pulling the trunk apart again....lol...

Y2J

Feb 3, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 4
Try removing the boost circuit...

I run my 6G Creative jukebox into my pioneer AUX input and it works great. I had to buy a line level adapter cable that adapts RCA to Pioneer DIN.

Im happy... I never carry CDs in the car any more.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back