Good Headphone Amp, Do I really have to spend over $400?
Jun 19, 2002 at 2:42 PM Post #77 of 117
Quote:

Originally posted by TeamH3
The music that I am listening to is professionally recording / big record label artist, so I don't think the harshness/distortion is from the recording.

Wow you are naive. The big labels consistently make terrible recordings.

Jun 20, 2002 at 12:58 AM Post #78 of 117
first off you should make your way to a stop on tyll's world of headphone tour so you can hear them all for yourself.

if that isn't going to work out...

you could get a headroom little or even a total airhead.

i personally would NOT recommend the grado ra-1

i had one on eval for a weekend and i honestly couldn't tell the difference between that and not having that.

i have a headroom total airhead and i think its great.

i am using it with senn-600's

i wasn't all that impressed with the little, but it does have a bit of an upgrade path.

matthew

Jun 20, 2002 at 1:21 AM Post #79 of 117
Quote:

Originally posted by matthewd5
i wasn't all that impressed with the little, but it does have a bit of an upgrade path.

This is the understatement of the Little.

Jun 20, 2002 at 12:50 PM Post #80 of 117
Quote:

Originally posted by matthewd5

I have been trying the Little loaner for a couple of weeks and I would say without a doubt that it is a step up from the TAH. The differences are obvious (at least to me) and do not require critical A/B testing to hear. Having heard the other amps at the Headroom show there are better amps than the Little but not in the price range IMO.

Jun 20, 2002 at 1:28 PM Post #81 of 117
Why god, why did I ignore this thread?

TeamH3, you're going through the exact same dilemma as I am. Kelly can atest to that.
biggrin.gif
(again, thanks a TON)

I'd really recommend making your way to one of the WOH tours.

I currently have a little loaner at my house. When I first turned it on, magic. It blew my cmoy AWAY. Just totally out of the water. The music seemed to come alive. . .

So now, I'm considering the little with the premium module. This will most likely be my next amp. Theres also the choice of the MG Head OTL, which I haven't heard yet, and to a lesser degree, the corda.

Jun 20, 2002 at 2:10 PM Post #82 of 117
I have to say this and I apologize to HeadRoom for stabbing them in the back after putting on an excellent tour and having us all out, but this is really in the vein of honesty and not in an anti-HeadRoom way so I hope you guys and your fans will forgive me.

At the HeadRoom tour stop... one should note that the Corda HA-1 is on a really really crappy source compared to the Meridian driving the Little. Strict AB between the Corda and Little is NOT possible at the HeadRoom tour stop. In places where I *have* ABd the Little to the Corda, the Corda was far and away my preference. To me, there just wasn't any aspect of the sound that the Corda didn't do better.

When I was ABing the Corda and Max, there were aspects of each component I liked better than the other. I don't seriously fault anyone for preferring the Max to the Corda since even to my ears, the Max is better in some ways but that I'd make such a comparison at all to me speaks well of an amp you can buy for $325 assembled and shipped.

I haven't ABd the Corda and the Little with Premium, the Little More Power or the Little Premium with More Power and maybe that's a more fair fight, but again, you're at twice the cost by that point. To me the Little just isn't a good value compared to the Corda UNLESS (and this really does matter here) you really want the HeadRoom processor. If you want the HeadRoom processor, the Corda and MG Head can't give it to you so there you are.

And for what it's worth, from my memory I do like the Little more than the Creek.

Jun 20, 2002 at 2:35 PM Post #84 of 117
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

When I was ABing the Corda and Max, there were aspects of each component I liked better than the other. I don't seriously fault anyone for preferring the Max to the Corda since even to my ears, the Max is better in some ways but that I'd make such a comparison at all to me speaks well of an amp you can buy for $325 assembled and shipped.

Kelly!
You make me want to run out and buy a Corda now!
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2002 at 2:56 PM Post #85 of 117
aqlsrhead.jpg

Stay tuned for an official Head-Fi review of the ASL SR-Head solid state headphone amp. According to Divergent's website it retails for $199.00 and, to my ears, sounds a bit better than the Creek OBH-11.

Jun 20, 2002 at 5:57 PM Post #86 of 117
Quote:

Originally posted by kwkarth

Kelly!
You make me want to run out and buy a Corda now!
biggrin.gif

kw

In my experience, the Max had slightly better bass than the Corda so you may wanna stick with the Max, given your handicapped cans.
wink.gif

Jun 21, 2002 at 2:19 AM Post #89 of 117
Heck, I will jump in too.
I have HD600's. They are a bit overrated. Their bid sin is their low end is lacking. For their price, they should be better in that respect.

They are difficult to drive.

It also depends on your source and it's resolution. No point on an $800 amp if you have a mediocre source. Total waste.
It's also a waste to get an $800 amp using the standard HD600 cord.

To get good low end and full capability of the HD600's you must get an aftermarket cord, like the Clou's at Headroom. Expect $100 here.

I have used the Creek OBH11. Not that impressive, and the warranty card says England. Might have a problem getting quality repairs.

I have the MG HEAD OTL. Again, no USA repair facilities.

I have had the Headroom Supreme (new model). Less than stellar with the HD600's, but to be fair, it was with the standard headphone cable for the HD600's, and I think I would have kept the Supreme if I had the Clous then (I have them now, the DO make a big difference, to me).

I am going MG Head to head to the new Headroom Little. I have both right now. The Little can drive the HD600, with Clou cables.
But the Headroom Little is a fine little entry level amp. Better than the Creek by far. But it does NOT have high end sound.
Sorry guys. That is why the Little can be upgraded and Headroom sells more expensive amps. The Little is good for most people, but not if you want "audiophile snobby sound", which is what I like. The Little will not show the full capabilities of the HD600's. Neither will any SONY CD player, though, or most CD players. But I have two SONY CD units (my main one is a Rega) and they will sound ok though for the Little.

The MG Head sounds better when it comes to audiophile sound. A step above the Little. The difference is obvious. I have done some tube rolling too. I have no idea how the Little with Premium module sounds.

So. Back to the original posters questions. The Headroom Little at under $300 is the best choice there.
Then the MG Head OTL.

Then you should get the option cable, a CLOU or Cardas.

Perhaps a Little with a Premium module if you can afford it.

I use the Little now with Sony units (CD and MD) with HD570s in my bedroom, and the sound is very very nice. No match for my main system. But good.

My two cents.

If you don't want to go through the agony of getting the HD600's to perform like they can, sell them and get some other headphones.....a cruel statement but true. Headroom has some good stuff and a 30 day return policy.

Other headphones sound almost as good and do not require the gold plated amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back