good "headphone" albums?
Jun 30, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Indeed you do have to pay LOTS of money to reach that kind of quality.

You get the overall better "acoustics" and "live" feeling from speakers, obviously, but the details in my opinion are what really make the record a big "headphone" album, since many of the reasons as to why people get headphones is for the extra detial and intimacy you get from them.

But what do I know? It's only my opinion.

That's a good point. You've really got to pay out your rear for speakers that will reproduce even the same amount of detail as, say, a pair of HD-650s. That's not really suprising, though, since headphones are coupled much more closely to your ears and don't have to be nearly as precise as speakers need to be for the same effect. Anyway, I'll agree that DSOTM is a great headphones album; there is tons of stuff in there that I didn't even realize was there before I heard it on a really nice speaker setup. Not stuff that I would miss TOO much, but it's definitely a little dissappointing listening to my own humble rig right now.
tongue.gif

Jul 9, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #34 of 49
I can't believe no-one's mentioned Cowboy Junkies' Trinity Sessions.

Another I love is Jean-Michel Jarre, Equinoxe (Part IV should tickle).

Jul 10, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #36 of 49
Actually listening to DSOTM right now...

Anyway, I think Supertramp - Crime Of The Century is an amazingly well produced album that sounds great on headphones...

Jul 10, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #37 of 49
The latest Chemical Brothers release "Push the Button" is a lot of fun.

Just disable crossfeed for maximum enjoyment.
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #38 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
I think personally the ultimate Headphone album is Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Not only is it acceptionally-recorded and mastered, it is filled with small and little details that only headphones are really able to pick up. It's the perfect show-off album.

I agree with you about DSOTM being a great headphone album. However, I can hear all of the same things on my speaker setup. This is one of the albums that I use for equipment evaluation for just this reason.

Jul 15, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #39 of 49
DSotM-Without a doubt one of the best albums ever recorded. However, nearly anything by Pink Floyd sounds good on headphones. Meddle is especially good.

Beatles- Sgt. Pepper There is an incredible amount of detail in this recording. Look for the remastered version.

Beatles- Abbey Road (I also like Revolver a lot on headphones)

Steely Dan- Pretty much anything, but especially Aja and Gaucho.

Robin Trower-Bridge of Sighs

Led Zeppelin-II

Supertramp-Crime of the Century

Joe Jackson-Body and Soul This was recorded mainly with just a pair of stereo mics, with a few accent mics. Very natural sound with excellent dynamic range.

Cheers,

bg

Jul 19, 2005 at 8:24 AM Post #40 of 49
Charlie Parker with Strings - The Master Takes

One of my personal favorites, and The Bird still sounds sweet despite the years of age on those original recordings (as the hiss will say so)

Classic Sinatra, His Great Performances 1953-1960

I think the vocal clarity is just amazing on these tracks...really captures that "live" experience

Feb 6, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #43 of 49
Dire Straits - Dire Straits
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd - The Wall
The Who - Who Are You
Rainbow - Long Live Rock 'N' Roll
Van Halen - 1984

Just a few of the nice albums I have
smile.gif

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #44 of 49
Sigur Ros - Agaetis byrjun
Fripp & Eno - Evening Star
Joy Division - Closer
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me

the last two really benefit from the close, personal sound of headphones - though for entirely different reasons.  I think the norah jones record sounds more intimate on headphones and the joy division record (the same could be said for unknown pleasures) sounds more claustraphobic and neurotic.  either way, it gets the message across well.

the first two albums just provide incredible ear candy.

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #45 of 49

Quote:
I think personally the ultimate Headphone album is Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Not only is it acceptionally-recorded and mastered, it is filled with small and little details that only headphones are really able to pick up. It's the perfect show-off album.

+1

Without a doubt my favorite headphone album, and I'm usually after Electronic, hip hop, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back