Good guitarists?
Mar 16, 2007 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Gurra1980

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello all metal and rock fans!

I just wanted some advice on good guitarists and good albums with them, some of my favorites is Eddie Van Halen, Yngwie Malmsteen, John Petrucci, so something in those genres would be good. Thanx

Mar 17, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #2 of 28
For starters....
Rush - R30, live CD set
Dreamtheater - Live @ Budokan
Joe Satriani - Live 2006
Iron Maiden - Live after Death
Ozzy - Tribute
Queen - a night at the opera
Queensryche - Empire
AC/DC - Back in black
Metallica - Kill em' all, ride the lightning, master of puppets

Others I enjoy Sepultra, Liquid tension experiment, Accept, Jason Becker, SymphonyX, Mr Big, Megadeath, Slayer, Kamelot, KingsX

Spend some time surfing youtube, there are a lot of live concert vids and bootlegs to get a taste for each artist/band.

Mar 17, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #3 of 28
Rainbow "On Stage" live
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 28
Ok thanks, I will check out some of those. Now another question, because I have played some bass when I was younger, it would be fun if someone could recommend some great solo bass players.

Mar 17, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok thanks, I will check out some of those. Now another question, because I have played some bass when I was younger, it would be fun if someone could recommend some great solo bass players.

Check out

Bassist: Gregg Bisonette and Stu Hamm

Guitarist: Andres Segovia (Classical), John Williams (Classical), Christopher Parkening (Classical), Julian Bream (Classical), Al Di Meola (Jazz), Ritchie Kotzen Electric Joy(Rock), Marty Friedman (eclectic highly recommend), Dave Uhlrich (rock), Vinnie Moore (rock), Kenny Wayne Sheppard (Texas blues), Stevie Ray Vaughn (Texas Blues), Greg Howe (rock), Stephen Ross (rock), Mattias Elkundh (odd rock), Eric Johnson (Texas Blues), Paul Gilbert (rock), Gary Hoey (rock)....

I'll think of more later.

Jim

Mar 17, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 28
It may not be your genre, but Thomas Erak of The Fall of Troy is a very creative and talented guitarrist.

Mar 17, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

I assume you're familiar with Jaco Pastorius. His work with Weather Report goes beyond legendary.

Mar 18, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #9 of 28
I'll recommend some stuff in the Neo-Classical/Power Metal/Prog area (ala Yngwie and Dream Theater). All of the following bands have amazing guitarists that are not very well known. I don't have the energy to list the names of all of these guitarists, so I will just list the bands they are in. Considering your mention of Yngwie and Petrucci, you are most certain to enjoy these:

Adagio
Altaria
Alkemyst
Andromeda
Angra
Athena
Axel Rudi Pell
Axenstar
Beyond Twilight
Black Majesty
Cellador
Circus Maximus
Concerto Moon
Conquest
Dark Moor
Derek Sherinian
Dragonforce
Dragonland
Dream Evil
Dreamtale
Dungeon
Evil Masquerade
Gaia Epicus
Galloglass
Heavenly
Lost Horizon
Luca Turilli
Majestic Vanguard
Opus Atlantica
Pagan's Mind
Power Quest
Rhasody
Richard Andersson
Silent Force
Sonata Arctica
Stratovarius
Sun Caged
Symphony X
Timeless Miracle
Winds

I will try to name some of the less obvious guitarists that are absolutely amazing:

Chris Impellitteri
Buckethead
The Hellecasters
Eric Johnson
Jake E Lee
David T Chastain
Gary Hoey
Greg Howe
Joe Stump
Joey Tafolia
Marty Friedman
Michael Romeo
Patrick Rondat
Paul Gilbert
Tony MacAlpine
Victor Smolski
Vinnie Moore

The more obvious guitarists have already been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but here are a few more:
Uli Jon Roth
Jeff Beck
Steve Vai
George Lynch

That should keep you busy for a while...

Mar 18, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Hello all metal and rock fans!

I just wanted some advice on good guitarists and good albums with them, some of my favorites is Eddie Van Halen, Yngwie Malmsteen, John Petrucci, so something in those genres would be good. Thanx

Dude you live in Sweden?

Isn't there a huge Power Metal/Prog/Neo-Classical music scene there? You can probably walk outside of your house, swing a dead cat, and hit a great band that has amazing guitarists in it.

You should be suggesting guitarists and bands to us poor bastards in the USA, since our music scene is at an all time low for those genres of music.

Mar 18, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #12 of 28
Another vote for Buckethead

Have you heard Impelliteri's rendition of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow?" It brings me back to childhood instantly.

Mar 18, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by sisenor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for Buckethead

Have you heard Impelliteri's rendition of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow?" It brings me back to childhood instantly.

Oh hell yeah!

Impellitteri is one of my all time favorite shred guitarists. I have all of his CDs. He is an absolute monster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back