Good Goa/Psychedelic trance?
Aug 21, 2002 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

strangequark

New Head-Fier
I decided to start using internet radio stations one day and my favorite by far is philosomatika http://www.philosomatika.com/ . And I took a look at trancetrax.com to see what's available as far a Goa/Psychedelic recordings go. It's a lot. Where is a noob to start? I actually have some money (for once
rolleyes.gif
) and a new cd or two looks like a good way to spend some.

Aug 22, 2002 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 10
Paul Oakenfold released a goa trance mix years ago. His Global Underground comp "Live in Oslo" is a good set for goa trance.

You might also want to check out the Sasha/Digweed Northern Exposure series (vol 1, 2, and 3).

Both of these came out in the mid 90's, when goa and trance overall started to break in Europe.

Aug 22, 2002 at 5:49 AM Post #3 of 10
I just started into them, but i believe that Infected Mushroom is goa and psy trance. Whatever they are, it surely doesn't sound like Oakey's goa stuff, but it's somewhere in the same ballpark, kinda..
tongue.gif
Try out Oakenfold's Voyage Into Trance, most of that stuff's goa.

Aug 30, 2002 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 10
Hard to say. Goa / Psy Trance is a really broad genre and it's been constantly changing over the years. Generally we could say there is stuff that sounds more "old school goa" or "full on" and newer stuff, like "minimal" or socalled "techtrance". Now we could go into this forever and still a lot of people would disagree as discussing goa/psy subgenres is always highly controversial.

I've been into goa for over 5 years now and still know far from everything, but at least I can give you some hints from my personal listening experience. Further than that I can really recommend www.psynews.org, an extremely informative site with a great forum.

There are some artists you really can't go wrong with, as

Cosmosis: Albums: Cosmology, Synergy: Imho pure psychedelic trance at it's best, kind of genre-defining for me.

Hallucinogen: Albums: Twisted, The Lone Deranger: Maybe THE most highly regarded artist in the scene, really unique sound and composition.

Infected Mushroom: Their first two Albums "Classical Mushroom" and "The Gathering" are considered real old school classics, personally I really like their 3rd Album, "B.P.Empire" which I find extremely appealing in every aspect.

Pleiadians (aka Etnica aka Cropcircles): Albums: Identified Flying Object, Family of Light: Two really stunning albums with a distinctive sound, though different in execution. While IFO is really straight full on until the last track which is down tempo FOL presents more diversity between songs.

Other Names worth mentioning:

Astral Projection: kind of defining the "old school" sound
MFG: old school goa, but different in sound
Transwave: again nicey old school goa
Atmos: very atmospheric sounding goa trance (hence the name)
Toi Doi: fast, hard, psychedelic trance, maybe "a bit too" full on (depending on mood)
Midi Miliz: dark stomping tech trance
The Delta: see above, someone once called it "gothic" tech trance
Logic Bomb (aka Hux Flux): very unique sounding psy trance, especially Hux Flux having a high "weirdness-factor"
Juno Reactor: considered goa, but not really trance; Personally I consider their Album "Shango" their masterpiece (which is a kind of electro/world music mixture)

I guess that's it for now.
smily_headphones1.gif
Have fun exploring!

Aug 30, 2002 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 10
Well, like I said, Juno Reactor mostly is _not_ really trance, although there are some titles which are quite trancey like for example Man To Ray, High Energy Protons (Orion Mix) or Feel the Universe and could be argued being goa trance.

Aug 30, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #7 of 10
Ramtha knows what he's talking about.
I have also listened since it began...

My favs are:

Astral Projection
Hallucinogen
Infected Mushroom
Man With No Name
Shakta
The Infinity Project
MFG

Those are some of the core Goa artists in my opinion.
Oakenfold is usually not Goa - although he has helped spreading it.

Aug 31, 2002 at 12:46 PM Post #8 of 10
Man... I just downloaded most of Ramtha's tips I had not heard before... good stuff... even more CD's I'll have to buy...
This forum is killing my wallet in so many ways it's not even funny...

Aug 31, 2002 at 8:03 PM Post #9 of 10
Sampling music is so hard nowadays. Seems like EVERYTHING is queued on winmx, what's the point of even loading up that god forsaken program. I wish AG was still around
frown.gif

Aug 31, 2002 at 9:14 PM Post #10 of 10
Winmx?
AG = Audiogalaxy?

I only use Direct Connect nowadays, but that's probably
because I'm Swedish and have broadband (only 2.5mbit though).

DC is extremely good, especially the DC++ version.
The "hub" I'm in has 550+ members and about 50tb data...
And that's only one hub of several hundreds!
They share everything... not just music.

I must mention that I find it amazingly useful to sample
music and movies or to get the latest TV shows not aired
here.
However, I do buy the DVD's and CD's that I like... but I
suspect that's not the norm...
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry to steal your thread... hope you don't mind
evil_smiley.gif

Am I the only one who really liked the TIP Goa collections that
came out about five years ago?

More group names:
Prana
Doof

To me there are three groups that have been mentioned here
that I think transcends the genre as a whole and have made
records that are truly great regardless of the "Goa" label.

Astral Projections - Another world
Hallucinogen - Twisted
Infected Mushroom - BP Empire

Users who are viewing this thread

Back