Good generic mods for headphones?
May 24, 2015 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

KrypticPixel

New Head-Fier
I've always loved modding stuff, or just tinkering with basic code. I'm 14 now, and have a cheap-ish pair of Sony headphones. 
I'm not sure of the model, so I can't look up specific mods for it. I've done 2 things to it: do the soc-pad mod, and poke some holes in the dampener for extra bass.

The only things these have really done is make my headphones more comfy, and my mid-bass more prominent, but my lower bass isn't as thumpy (is that the term for it?)
What are some generic mods that can be done on most headphones?

P.S.: Is it okay that if I turn on a song like "Like a G6" and turn up my bass and volume up halfway, that my headphones shake?

May 24, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 29
The sock mod explains why sub-bass has suffered.
These kind of headphones require a good seal using the usual fake leather material to maintain a good bass response.
The sock material prevents a good seal as it's too porous. 

The mid bass bloating is most likely a result of punching the holes in the back of the driver vents. 
Opening up vents will almost always guarantee a stronger bass response, but will also almost always guarantee more distortion, muddiness in the bass sound and you have zero control over which frequency in the bass the damping was responsible for taming, so you could end up with heaps of ugly boomy mid-bass.

A generic mod you could try is adding some very small light fluffy amounts of cotton wool/cotton balls inside the cups. 
This will behave like the damping material you punched holes it but I've had some successes in other headphones where doing this tames the mid-bass boom, while allowing the deepest frequencies to remain strong.
There's no guarantee it will work, but I've had some luck with it in the past.... usually on larger size cups though.

Also you could add some mass to the baffle around the driver inside the cup.
Simply mass-load it with some blue tack. Maybe add a blob on the back of each driver magnet too.
Mass loading usually has almost no effect other than tightening up the bass slightly.

May 24, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 29
Does it help any that inside the sock, for a more comfy fit, I added the original padding into the middle of it?
I'm still new to this, so thanks for the explanation.

What do you refer to when you say the cup? Are you refering to the spot behind the drivers?

This part: 
"
Simply mass-load it with some blue tack. Maybe add a blob on the back of each driver magnet too.
Mass loading usually has almost no effect other than tightening up the bass slightly."

I don't quite understand what you mean. . .  could you help me understand??

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Edit: It really only booms thought when I mess with my EQ though. Without my eq, it sounds normal.

May 24, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 29
Does it help any that inside the sock, for a more comfy fit, I added the original padding into the middle of it?

I doubt it.

What do you refer to when you say the cup? Are you refering to the spot behind the drivers?

This part: 
"
Mass loading usually has almost no effect other than tightening up the bass slightly."

The 'cup' usually refers to the outer-shell of the headphone.

For example, the 'cup' here is the big red outer shell.

The 'baffle' refers to the 'plate' that holds the driver in place.

The photos above are of the same headphone.
The picture on the right side shows the 'internal' side of the 'baffle' (with the driver/speaker removed)

Mass-loading looks like this:

In the headphone above, the red plasticine is used to 'mass-load' the baffle. 
This is INSIDE the headphone around the driver.
This can add 'control' to bass frequencies and dampen any unwanted resonances created by the housing.
But you don't want to add too much of this, as this will quickly shrink the volume of the housing which often has the effect of shrinking the soundstage and crippling bass extension, especially in smaller size headphones.

Honestly, the best way to get the sound you want is to start with a better headphone. 
redface.gif

Every headphone has limitations, but in this case the biggest limitation is most likely the driver itself.
With any extensive amount of modification, it may simply not be physically able to produce the sound (and bass) you're looking for.

May 24, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 29
Okay, that kinda makes since. A little confusing, but i'm learning as I go.

Okay, I heard that if you put cotton inside behind the driver, it'll make it sound better? Will that increase the bass, mids, or the treble?
Once again, thanks for your well-writen explanation, it helps me a lot.

May 25, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 29
You can tame the treble a little: experiment with putting different materials (felt, open-cell foam, shelf liner) behind the pads. Cover the center of the driver or even the whole baffle. The trade off is some loss of air / openness and soundstage. Best luck!

Re mass loading: "To damp or not to damp, that is (not) the question" -- Stratocaster

May 25, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:
You can tame the treble a little: experiment with putting different materials (felt, open-cell foam, shelf liner) behind the pads. 

+1
A ring of foam behind the pads usually brings out the bass a bit and increases comfort for me.
In some cases it can transform a headphone into a airy, articulate giant-killer.

May 25, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #10 of 29
Well, I tried that: I put back on my pads, and stuffed it with cotton. I couldn't really notice anything. . . Also, my pads, even stuffed with cotton, are really uncomfortable because of the little things sticking out underneath it.

Why would you cover the driver? Wouldn't that have an opposite effect?

I put in 2 cotton balls into each cup, and thankfully my headphones don't rattle anymore. What exactly did that do?

May 25, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #15 of 29
Well whatever mods you've done really.
It's difficult to know what mods have what effect on any part of your set up without some kind of visualization. 

Sure, you can describe it well enough, but it's much easier to guess when presented with images.
I don't even yet know what headphone you've actually got! 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back