Good gaming soundcard (no driver issues) with sp/dif out?
Jul 15, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ymer
Any suggestions?

I would get an Audigy 2, but I don't think it has an sp/dif (stereo) out.

Maybe one of the Turtlebeachs?

Thanks!

Yes it does. Even the audigy 2 zs notebook pcmcia has sp/dif output, optical.

Jul 16, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 6
All Audigy 2s should have coaxial SPDIF outputs. I have the original Audigy 2, now called the Audigy 2 value, it has an SPDIF output as a stereo mini jack (I believe both tip and ring carry the digital signal). ZS models probably have optical outputs.

Jul 21, 2005 at 8:10 AM Post #5 of 6
But don't forget about the problem with resampling to 48K that all Audigy cards suffer from. You will never hear your digital music playback at its full potential with an Audigy sound card.

The new E-Mu drivers work great with games (something that was a problem with them before). In fact, the other night I played about 4 hours of World of Warcraft with the sound on while playing music in Foobar with the ASIO output...worked great.

The other advantage of the E-Mu is great analog output, in case you're not ready to pick up a DAC yet. The analog out on these cards makes the Audigy sound absolutely awful (I upgraded from an Audigy to a 1212 and still remember that day fondly...my mother-in-law got the Audigy and I've never looked back).

i recommend the 0404 ($99) or the 1212 ($199).

Jul 21, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 6
I also recommend the 0404 or 1212m. Just remember that you lose out on 5.1 capabilities and EAX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back