Good gaming headphones for $250
Aug 1, 2012 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Palurien

New Head-Fier
Hi, I have recently started studying to find a new set of headphones for christmas. It will be used mostly for gaming, not FPS, mostly RPG and MMO's. I have been looking for the best sound quality and buying a mic on Amazon. I have been following this site and Im down to a few headsets im torn between. The DT 990 Pro 600 ohm or 250 ohm cant decide, the Astro A40, or the Sennheiser PC360. I am open to suggestions though. 

First off 90% of the time it will be games, 10% will be music, Dubstep, trance, anything electronic. Second I love bass, but not so much I cant hear everything else or people talking with me. 

I have a limit of $250 for my christmas money but I am ok spending around $200 more of my own money on extras. I had debated getting the DT 990 Pro 600 ohm w/ the Fiio E9 and was debating between the Xonar DX or the Fiio E7 and USB connection. Id also heard the Sennheiser are much better if paired with an amp. 

I am kinda debating also the A40's with the mixamp because a girl at bestbuy said that she owns a pair and loves them, the only bad thing I read is the mid-highs are muffled so gunfire and lightening can sound muffled. Also curious how the Beyerdynamic gamer headphones are?

Sorry for the mess, hope ot hear from you guys :)

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:
Hi, I have recently started studying to find a new set of headphones for christmas. It will be used mostly for gaming, not FPS, mostly RPG and MMO's. I have been looking for the best sound quality and buying a mic on Amazon. I have been following this site and Im down to a few headsets im torn between. The DT 990 Pro 600 ohm or 250 ohm cant decide, the Astro A40, or the Sennheiser PC360. I am open to suggestions though. 

First off 90% of the time it will be games, 10% will be music, Dubstep, trance, anything electronic. Second I love bass, but not so much I cant hear everything else or people talking with me. 

I have a limit of $250 for my christmas money but I am ok spending around $200 more of my own money on extras. I had debated getting the DT 990 Pro 600 ohm w/ the Fiio E9 and was debating between the Xonar DX or the Fiio E7 and USB connection. Id also heard the Sennheiser are much better if paired with an amp. 

I am kinda debating also the A40's with the mixamp because a girl at bestbuy said that she owns a pair and loves them, the only bad thing I read is the mid-highs are muffled so gunfire and lightening can sound muffled. Also curious how the Beyerdynamic gamer headphones are?

Sorry for the mess, hope ot hear from you guys :)

Asus Xonar DX (or D1) sound card, used $50.
Bravo ($65)or Muse ($50) single tube headphone amplifier, sold on Amazon.
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-ohm, used $161

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 18
not sure exactly what games you are playing but if you extract the music files from those games, specially mmos, they usually have 128kbps-192kbps of music files.

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 18
I play SWTOR and occasionally WoW, Skyrim, Bioshock, Mass Effect, games like that. I sometimes listen to music when im doing MMOs off of Pandora, I have the premium version, or my MP3s.

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 18
the dt900/250 should be enough for you since the 600ohm variant can be a little bit hard to drive out of a soundcard.

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 18
ok, thanks. I really liked the sound of the DT990's and was hoping I could still get them. I wish there was a place around here I could listen to the headphones but there are non around my area.

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
So the 250-Ohm is better for gaming?

The 250-Ohm is cheaper then the 600-Ohm.
As you have never listened to the 600-Ohm, you do know now what your missing using the 250-Ohm.
Get the 250-ohm now, upgrade to the 600-Ohm in the future, gives you something to look forward to.
Maybe get the 600-Ohm when your willing to spend over $200 on a nice tube amplifier.

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
The 250-Ohm is cheaper then the 600-Ohm.
As you have never listened to the 600-Ohm, you do know now what your missing using the 250-Ohm.
Get the 250-ohm now, upgrade to the 600-Ohm in the future, gives you something to look forward to.
Maybe get the 600-Ohm when your willing to spend over $200 on a nice tube amplifier.

Hey PurpleAngel,

Don't mean to hijack this thread but it seems like the ATH-A900/900x would be pretty good for gaming.  I was looking through reviews and it seems that Audio Technica cans are kind of rarely recommended besides the M50 and the A700/AD700.  Your posts kept popping up since I was looking for information on the A900/900x.  How would you rate the headphones compared to the others that you own or have owned?  From what I gather is that they have good mids and highs along with pretty good bass impact.  The biggest thing for me would be the large soundstage and the level of comfort.  Once again sorry to hijack the thread but its hard to get info on those cans.

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:
Ok, so the small Bravo or Muse amps that are open are are fine for me now?

Yes, I would say spend the extra for the Bravo because it's version 2, I think the muse is still the original version.
Check on eBay, do a search for "tube headphone amplifier", shows a lot of different models for these single tube headphone amplifiers.
Also on the website, Rockgrotto, they have a forum headphone amplifier subsection on these amplifiers

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Hey PurpleAngel,

Don't mean to hijack this thread but it seems like the ATH-A900/900x would be pretty good for gaming.  I was looking through reviews and it seems that Audio Technica cans are kind of rarely recommended besides the M50 and the A700/AD700.  Your posts kept popping up since I was looking for information on the A900/900x.  How would you rate the headphones compared to the others that you own or have owned?  From what I gather is that they have good mids and highs along with pretty good bass impact.  The biggest thing for me would be the large sound stage and the level of comfort.  Once again sorry to hijack the thread but its hard to get info on those cans.

I think my Audio Technica ATH-A900X are the best sound closed headphones I have, but they do cost $220.
But they work best with amplifiers that are low impedance, like portable amplifiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back