Good Full-Sized Portable for Metal Music
Mar 17, 2015 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

7S Cameron

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for over-ear headphones that are good for portable use. I primarily listen to metal, so I need a headphone that can keep up with very fast bass drum kicks. I also need clarity and instrument seperation when dealing with busy passages. Most of the music I listen to has a lot of background stuff going on such as strings or layered vocals. I would say that vocals to me are the most important part of music if i had to pick. But I definitely focus on the entire sound-scape. I'm looking for a pair that can be had for $300 or under if possible. I am willing to stretch my budget if there are headphones that are just perfect and sound exactly like what I am looking for.

My source is an iBasso DX50. As of now I don't use an external amplifier. I plan on getting one in the future, but I'd like a pair of headphones that can still have a great sound straight from my DX50 with the built-in amplifier. I also listen to a good amount of electronic and alternative rock music. I listen to a lot of other stuff as well, but these are the primary genres that occupy my time.

Comfort is very important to me as well because I plan on using these headphones for my long listening sessions. So far the Audio Technica MSR7 sounds like it is the closest to what I am looking for. I would love some suggestions from anyone who is willing to offer them to me.

Mar 17, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #2 of 5
Look into the Focal Spirit Pro - they fixed the response balance of the dark, almost nasal sound on the original Spirit One. Plus it folds and the material is a rough, matte plastic that can hide minor wear and tear better than the smooth plastic on the One and Classic.

Prior to that my favorite was the K550, but the problem with that is some found the fit too loose and hence the bass was weak (and actually inarticulate), and still needs tweaking (look up the "small head mod") to get it to sound right. I had no problems with it but I looked like a grey alien when I was a kid, so YMMV.

The MDR-1R wasn't bad, the bass was a bit strong but it was only really somewhat out of control with my SGS3 (no issues with my iPad); give it cleaner  power and it reins them in well enough (bass a bit too loud still but at least it doesn't sound flabby), however the cups are too small for my earlobes.

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #3 of 5
  Look into the Focal Spirit Pro - they fixed the response balance of the dark, almost nasal sound on the original Spirit One. Plus it folds and the material is a rough, matte plastic that can hide minor wear and tear better than the smooth plastic on the One and Classic.

Prior to that my favorite was the K550, but the problem with that is some found the fit too loose and hence the bass was weak (and actually inarticulate), and still needs tweaking (look up the "small head mod") to get it to sound right. I had no problems with it but I looked like a grey alien when I was a kid, so YMMV.

The MDR-1R wasn't bad, the bass was a bit strong but it was only really somewhat out of control with my SGS3 (no issues with my iPad); give it cleaner  power and it reins them in well enough (bass a bit too loud still but at least it doesn't sound flabby), however the cups are too small for my earlobes.

The Focal Spirit Pro isn't even something I have considered. I have looked into the K550, but that issue is what kept me from purchasing them. I'll definitely do some research on the Focal. Thank you!

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #4 of 5
Hey! You should also consider:

Soundmagic HP150 (more balanced)
Yamaha Pro 500 (more fun)

+1 on the Focal Professional
I've read nothing but good things about them (although the ear pads are quite small)

Best Luck!

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #5 of 5
  Hey! You should also consider:

Soundmagic HP150 (more balanced)
Yamaha Pro 500 (more fun)

+1 on the Focal Professional
I've read nothing but good things about them (although the ear pads are quite small)

Best Luck!

Thank you for the suggestions! I was just watching the Inner Fidelity review on the Spirit Pro and when I heard about the small ear pads I got a little worried. My ears are larger than average, so I'm not sure that it will work for me. I'll look in to these two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back