Good full-sized closed cans for work that don't have wood cups...
Jan 31, 2012 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

metalsonata

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all--

I'm moving into a work position in the next month where I'll be able to listen to music for most of each day. Up until now I've just been bringing my Beyerdynamic DT 1350s to work with me every day--I'm usually not tied to one spot at work, but when I am (for about an hour each day), the 1350s have sufficed. However, the thought of wearing those for a good five or six hours everyday has my head aching just thinking about it--they're great for one or two hour listens and good for on the go, but for extended listening sessions they leave much to be desired. If you poke around in my profile you'll see that I own a pair of Denon 2000s which would be pretty much perfect for my needs, but the GF has claimed them for her own. I could just buy another pair, but I figured that this would be a good chance to get some input on other closed full-sizes that might fit the bill for what I'm looking for, especially because my experience with full-sized closed cans is pretty much slim to none.

So, here are my criteria:

-Full-sized
-Closed
-No wood cups
-Minimal/no sound leakage
-Sound quality roughly equivalent to that of the Denons (Whatever that means, right?)
-Less than $1,000
-Comfort! (Yeah I know, this can be pretty subjective--what I mean here is something that it can be possible to have on your head for a good few hours without feeling too much pressure.)

Other considerations:

-Isolation isn't a concern for me--I don't need to be completely shut off from the world around me.
-I'll be running whatever headphones I get off of a Headroom Micro Amp.
-I listen to pretty much a little bit of everything and am equally broad-minded when it comes to headphone sound signatures. If I don't love a sound signature right away, then I typically learn to love it pretty quick.

And hey, if you do the math and the Denons come out on top anyways, that's fine by me. They're great headphones. I just figure that it wouldn't hurt to give something new a try, if it fits the bill. The only other headphone I've been eying is the Kenwood KH-K1000 (seems to get a lot of love from the few people that have it), so I'm open to all sorts of suggestions!

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #8 of 27
I'd rather keep the wood cups at home where I can baby them and keep them in my sight lol. 

Quote:
May I ask why no wood cups. And alot of people have recomended the ahd 2000

HD25s, fantastic though they are, are earpad headphones--and I'm really looking for full-sizes.

Quote:

Are alternative cups that can fit the Denons easy to find?

Quote:
Have them changed out with D2K caps, or some really sweet looking silver or some alloy cap.

Very best,

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #11 of 27
Yeah, I'll keep an eye out on Beyer's lineup--if I could find a full-sized closed can that matched or exceeded the sound quality of the DT1350s I'd be pretty happy.

Quote:
Have a look into the Beyerdynamic DT250

I'll take a look around--are there any modders/artists in particular that you'd recommend?

Quote:
One of the most highly modded cups out there is the Denon line.

Very best,

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #13 of 27
If you're worried about damaging the wood cups, they have a pretty significant amount of laquer, and aren't really what I would call fragile. Though if you're still worried, you could sand them down to the wood, this'll make them much harder to damage, and possibly gain "character" with any damage. You can do this with stock replacement cups if you wish (you can sometimes get them from Lawton Audio for $59).

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #14 of 27

Quote:
If you're worried about damaging the wood cups, they have a pretty significant amount of laquer, and aren't really what I would call fragile. Though if you're still worried, you could sand them down to the wood, this'll make them much harder to damage, and possibly gain "character" with any damage. You can do this with stock replacement cups if you wish (you can sometimes get them from Lawton Audio for $59).

can you link me to lawtons 60 dollar cups?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back