Good full orchestral soundtracks?
Sep 14, 2003 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

squirt

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for more outstanding full orchestral based soundtrack recommendations. It's Ok if they feature some vocals with the orchestra too...currently in my collection:
Gladiator
Lord of The Rings
Pearl Harbor
Princess Mononoki
A Beautiful Mind
Last of the Mohicans
Legends of the Fall
Dances With Wolves
Born Free
Out of Africa
Land Before Time
Glory
Johnathan Livingston Seagull
Ice Castles

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2003 at 7:29 AM Post #2 of 16
I really like the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack. It's really good, although short, at around 43 minutes.

Then there's the soundtrack for Spirited Away, another of Miyazaki's animated masterpieces and another gorgeous soundtrack by Joe Hisashi. Also, another GREAT anime soundtrack that has just been released in the US is the one for Haibane Renmei. Simply awesome. It could also be under the name "New Feather" or something like that.

The soundtrack for Amelié has been among my favorites for months now.

And there's also the one for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Great stuff!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2003 at 9:17 AM Post #3 of 16
Some great ones:

1492: The Conquest Of Paradise - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Legend (Original Soundtrack Recording)

The 13th Warrior: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Dragonheart: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Braveheart: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Also I just saw this :

More Music from the Motion Picture Gladiator
by Hans Zimmer, Lisa Gerrard

B000058TJG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Sep 14, 2003 at 9:34 AM Post #4 of 16
A few good ones:

Schinder's List (John Williams) -- solidly written, and most people find it touching, but perhaps a tad too much of a tear-jerker.

Robin Hood: the Prince of Thieves (Michael Kamen) -- not as kitsch as the Bryan Adams song suggests, this is an eloquent orchestral score, with a medieval touch. Great sound.

The Piano(Michael Nyman) -- picturesque music that provokes a sense of isolation and yearning, quite different from Nyman's usual "minimalist" style. The themes make good use of traditional Scottish material (trad Scots musicians tend to disagree, but never mind...)

Heaven and Earth(Kitaro/Randy Miller) -- this one is a bit uneven, but the opening and the conclusion are lush symphoic masterpieces, and there are a few good Vietnamese folk songs thrown in.

Sep 14, 2003 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 16
Try searching for more titles by James Horner (Apollo 13, Enemy at the Gates, Titanic etc.), Hans Zimmer (The Rock, Crimson Tide, Black Hawk Down, The Peacemaker etc.) and John Williams (Star Wars and other Spielberg Movies), since you already have albums by these composers.
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Sep 14, 2003 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 16
i really like the hannibal soundtrack. and it's string quartet but requiem for a dream is pretty good too.

edit: and i'll second the rock soundtrack. i listen to that one before tests sometimes, gets me where i want to go.

Sep 14, 2003 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 16
I think the Gettysburg soundtrack was pretty well written although a slight bit rigid. Another one commonly overlooked is the soundtrack from Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

Sep 16, 2003 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 16
I'll put in my usual recommendation of Portrait of a Lady by Wojciech Kilar. Lush orchestral music with a bit of a minimalistic side to it. Damn good.

Heaven & Earth by Kitaro is a good recommendation...not often that I find anyone else who's heard it.

And no orchestral film music collection is complete without Patrick Doyle's seminal Henry V.

Heh, hey KR, 1492 and Legend aren't exactly full orchestral. Still great soundtracks, though.

Sep 17, 2003 at 12:34 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by strohmie
I'll put in my usual recommendation of Portrait of a Lady by Wojciech Kilar. Lush orchestral music with a bit of a minimalistic side to it. Damn good.

Heaven & Earth by Kitaro is a good recommendation...not often that I find anyone else who's heard it.

And no orchestral film music collection is complete without Patrick Doyle's seminal Henry V.

Heh, hey KR, 1492 and Legend aren't exactly full orchestral. Still great soundtracks, though.

The Goldsmith version of Legend is, I am pretty sure. 1492 is one of the best soundtracks ever, much better than the movie so I had to put it out there.

Sep 17, 2003 at 12:47 AM Post #11 of 16
True, the clarification probably helps (Tangerine Dream). As I remember of the Goldsmith one, it is orchestrated with vocals, with some synthesized stuff mixed in.

Sep 17, 2003 at 2:13 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Looking for that one as well. Would like to have that wonderful male chorus (at the end of the film) on CD.

Quote:

It may just be as well: Vangelis still doesn't have the ability for good, coherent orchestral writing -- listen to Mythodea: all directionless rambling, with not-so-subtle reference to Carl Orff. No development, no contrast. Kitaro, likewise, cannot manage an orchestral score without outside help.

Better stay with what he does best -- and that why 1492 is great.

Sep 21, 2003 at 10:55 PM Post #15 of 16
I like most anything by Danny Elfman (Music for a Darkened Theater Vols. I & II are a good place to start, as is Batman and Edward Scissorhands.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back