Good French Rock?
Jul 26, 2007 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sebascrub

500+ Head-Fier
So, I was listening to music today and decided that I would like some good hard rock from France or Quebec. Or anywhere really, as long as the lyrics are in French. Any suggestions? For the record, my top bands are, in no particular order, the Beatles, the Stones, GN'R, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Hendrix, Stabilo and Sam Roberts.

Jul 26, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #2 of 14
I really like Renaud (French). However it's not hard rock. When I lived in France (late 80s), he was called the "Bob Dylan of France". His lyrics are really good. You need to be up on French slang to understand a lot of them.

Jul 26, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #3 of 14
The only French rock that I have is Prototypes. Paris Combo is an excellent jazz band with vocals. I also like Camille's latest album Le Fil. I'm not really sure what category you can put it into though. It's usually in world music bins but it's not what most people think of when they think of world music. Two excellent compilation albums are Putumayo's Paris and Paris Cafe, but again not rock, more French cabaret.

Jul 26, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 14
I don't listen to hard rock so i don't know if there's good hard rock French stuff, but maybe you can check some Alain Bashung CDs from the end 80s to 90s. In my opinion he has always been the only real French rocker. Most of the stuff produced here fall in the "variété" genre. (Very popular music)

Jul 26, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 14
There aint no such things as good french rock
wink.gif

Well, you might want to give a try to La Mano Negra (former band of Manu Chao). I have to admit that the album "Le Fil" by Camine has some great things inside.

Good luck anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 12:46 PM Post #8 of 14
IMHO, the most famous hard rock band in France was undoubtfully Trust who was highly successfull here by the beginning of the 80s.
I say "was" because, even if I don't think they've splitted, I do not hear them
nowadays.
If you like the artists you named, you'll love them.
Their texts, in French, were very...incisive (French rebel spirit of this era, not very alive now...unfortunately).
For the record, Bernie, Trust's singer and Bon Scott, the forever missed singer of AC/DC were great friends...Trust released a nice version of "Ride On" and their 1981 album (Repression) is dedicated to Bon memory.
Their inescapable albums are Trust I - L'Elite (1979) and Repression (1980).
You can get some information (in French) here :
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trust_(groupe)

Hope this helps.

Michel.

Jul 27, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #11 of 14
Jul 28, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #14 of 14
The answer to your querry is found in Quebec singers, male and female. They are the top references as regard current rock music.
In France they are outdated.

For the best alternative french music check :
www.cism.umontreal.ca
it is the radio station of the students of the university of Montreal. With live feed on internet. This is the Place!!

Also check the classics like:
Eric Lapointe, Daniel Belanger, Stefie Shock.
For the ladies singer check France D'Amour, Ariane Moffat.

I am sure you will be satisfied by these french rock artists...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back