Good find! Zune
Feb 13, 2009 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

abitdeef

Formerly known as ihatepopupads
Headphoneus Supremus
I've had about 5 zunes and returned them for various reasons. No I'm not nuts just unlucky I guess. The one 80 gig had loud hard drive noises with my se530. The rest where 16 gig flash units and 2 just died (went to blue screen couldn't reset). The other 3 flash units were just defective build quality- crooked screen, buttons not working ect. ect.

I have tried so many because I believe it's the best sounding dap, out of the headphone jack. So when I was tooling around at toys r us today, imagine my surprise when I say a 30 gig white zune for 99.99. Well I jumped on it and when he range it up it was 79.99
biggrin.gif

So ya I'm happy, truth be told I think it even sounds a little better than the new zunes (more warmth and depth) and feels built better. This is just going to be my serious listening dap, nothing more. Feels good to get a bargin once in a while! Now I have to jump on that 8 gig clip at walmart
jecklinsmile.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had about 5 zunes and returned them for various reasons. No I'm not nuts just unlucky I guess. The one 80 gig had loud hard drive noises with my se530. The rest where 16 gig flash units and 2 just died (went to blue screen couldn't reset). The other 3 flash units were just defective build quality- crooked screen, buttons not working ect. ect.

I have tried so many because I believe it's the best sounding dap, out of the headphone jack. So when I was tooling around at toys r us today, imagine my surprise when I say a 30 gig white zune for 99.99. Well I jumped on it and when he range it up it was 79.99
biggrin.gif

So ya I'm happy, truth be told I think it even sounds a little better than the new zunes [size=medium](more warmth and depth)[/size] and feels built better. This is just going to be my serious listening dap, nothing more. Feels good to get a bargin once in a while! Now I have to jump on that 8 gig clip at walmart
jecklinsmile.gif

The newer Zunes outputs audio honestly. The Zune 30 has a colored sound which is bad. Let your earphones color the sound not the DAP.

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #4 of 29
Is there any difference between 80gig and flash zunes?

SQ wise.

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The newer Zunes outputs audio honestly. The Zune 30 has a colored sound which is bad. Let your earphones color the sound not the DAP.

Unless he like the warmth and depth...

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless he like the warmth and depth...

I mentioned this in another thread, but I find the Zune 30 with the EQ on to have a nice full sound. But not artificial, at least to my ears. To each his own, I suppose.

I believe the audio chip between the 30 and the newer Zune's are not identical. Also, my understanding is that there is no EQ on the the newer Zune's.

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by roebeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mentioned this in another thread, but I find the Zune 30 with the EQ on to have a nice full sound. But not artificial, at least to my ears. To each his own, I suppose.

I believe the audio chip between the 30 and the newer Zune's are not identical. Also, my understanding is that there is no EQ on the the newer Zune's.

Get better earphones and stop using EQ's!!!

Feb 14, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

I don't know if having your HP's "color" the sound is better or worse than your DAP, tbh. I'm sure there's many better HP's out there than my V6's, but I'm very happy with them.

Feb 14, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by roebeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if having your HP's "color" the sound is better or worse than your DAP, tbh. I'm sure there's many better HP's out there than my V6's, but I'm very happy with them.

It's best to get "Neutral" sounding earphones since it will sound much better with no EQ since everything would be balanced and full. The Shure SE530's are one example.

Feb 14, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Sorry but the with the Zune30 you can turn the EQ presets off. My wife has a newer 8GB zune flash and I have a zune30 and when the Zune30 has the EQ off they sound identical. I like having the option of turning the EQ on with my Zune30 it sound better than the newer zunes.

Feb 14, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

I already have great IEM's with the Atrio M5's and still prefer the EQ presets to the flat sound with it turned off.

Stop telling people what to do and let them listen to music HOW they want to!!!!

I will never ever understand people trying to tell other people HOW they should listen to music?

Feb 14, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

It's best to get "Neutral" sounding earphones since it will sound much better with no EQ since everything would be balanced and full. The Shure SE530's are one example.

SE530 are definitely not neutral, they are mid forward and a touch dark. The zune 30 sounds very neutral and natural. The difference between the zune 80 and 30 seems very minimal and it's from memory in the case of the new zunes. It just seemed a little fuller sounding and smoother, but hey it could be the same. All I know is it has that clean detailed zune sound that I love.

Feb 14, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry but the with the Zune30 you can turn the EQ presets off. My wife has a newer 8GB zune flash and I have a zune30 and when the Zune30 has the EQ off they sound identical. I like having the option of turning the EQ on with my Zune30 it sound better than the newer zunes.

Bingo, I haven't had a new zune (16 gig) for a while. So they could be indentical. I also found out I had the eq on acoustic setting
ksc75smile.gif
Once I turned it off, it pretty much sounds like the new zunes, from what I can remember.

Feb 14, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SE530 are definitely not neutral, they are mid forward and a touch dark. The zune 30 sounds very neutral and natural. The difference between the zune 80 and 30 seems very minimal and it's from memory in the case of the new zunes. It just seemed a little fuller sounding and smoother, but hey it could be the same. All I know is it has that clean detailed zune sound that I love.

The Shure SE530 has the most realistic sound. You will never hear HIGHs that detailed in a concert or any other live musical event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back