Good female opera singers?
Nov 8, 2003 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

MusicLover

1000+ Head-Fier
What are some good female opera singers?

Nov 8, 2003 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

I really like Sarah Brightman, if that helps any.

Well, since you mention Sarah Brightman (who, as everyone knows, IS NOT an opera singer) probably your safest bet is Renee Fleming. Pretty much any CD she has released with the exception of the Bel Canto album is good. She also just released a "greatest hits" CD. There are dozens of singers I could recommend with different types of voices and styles from different time periods, but it's probably best not to overwhlem you just yet.

Tom

Nov 9, 2003 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 18
Oops, I didn't exactly mean what I said. I really like her voice and was wondering if any female opera singers had a similar voice. Btw, I'm not referring to her dance-type songs, more like the slower ones.

Nov 9, 2003 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 18
Don't think Sarah ever did opera. Even her "slower" songs are not considered opera in any ways. Are you refering to her musical days?

A great opera singer to check out is Maria Callas. Probably available at your local library for free.

Nov 9, 2003 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 18
My fav is Kirsten Flagstag, though there are no audiophile quality recordings of her.
frown.gif

Nov 9, 2003 at 5:21 AM Post #9 of 18
Maria Callas is considered a classic. When my sister gets back into town, I'll ask her -- she had some recent discovery that she was enjoying.

Nov 9, 2003 at 7:57 AM Post #10 of 18
When I was a small child, I met Beverly Sills in a restaurant. I was just a little kid going out with my mom and dad and being happy. And then to meet someone famous -- wow! And so even today, when I come across one of her recordings, I feel delighted.

So, it is with some bias that I can add her name to the list of recommended divas.

Nov 9, 2003 at 2:55 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

I really like her voice and was wondering if any female opera singers had a similar voice

I have no qualms with any of the singers other members have recommended, as they are all excellent. Regarding the human voice, each person's is unique not unlike that of fingerprints, so it is very difficult (for me at least) to say that such and such sounds like so and so.

If I had to though based on the recommendations given, I would say that either Sumi Jo or Beverly Sills come closest to what you are looking for. Other singers you might want to consider are Dawn Upshaw, Hei-Kyung Hong and Ruth Ann Swenson. Regarding my first choice of Renee Fleming, her voice is a bit darker than Sarah Brightman's but she is still a fine singer.

Ultimately it is up to you to decide what you like. I suggest you go to amazon.com or another site where you can hear sound clips of all of the singers recommended.

Tom

Nov 9, 2003 at 6:04 PM Post #12 of 18
To get started in female opera everyone should own:
JOAN SUTHERLAND "art of the prima donna" collection

This is 2CD set remastered on London/Decca Legends series at mid price, her vocal skills are technically unmatched in the stereo era, staggering vocal range and amazing command of "art of the prima donna"

Art of the Prima Donna

Nov 9, 2003 at 7:34 PM Post #13 of 18
For the most beautiful female voice I ever heard, Renata Tebaldi. This was a voice of glorious, Italian warmth that could wrap around you and make you melt.

Also on my list of favorites is the late, great Zinka Milanov who was for many years the Verdi soprano at the Met. The great Zinka was famous for "the note," a floated, pianissimo high B flat of ethereal beauty that carried to the highest reaches of the hall.

Of current divas, I love the dark, luster of Angela Gheorgiou's soprano. There's a quality that reminds me of Maria Callas. As a bonus, she has movie star physical beauty.

Nov 9, 2003 at 9:18 PM Post #15 of 18
I like Cecilia Bartoli a lot, and Kiri Te Kanawa ought to be mentioned too..

I don't really know about Maria Callas, I prefer a smoother voice like Cecilia Bartoli's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back