good electronic music to relax to?
May 31, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #17 of 66
There's a band from Iceland called Múm. they make 'dreamy' music and it is pretty good. I haven't got their new album yet but I'm planning to. It's called 'Summer make good' btw. You can check some older live songs at their homepage at http://www.noisedfisk.com/mumweb

Jun 1, 2004 at 1:27 PM Post #18 of 66
Lemon Jelly: Lost Horizons (melodic, simplistic, uplifting)
Lemon Jelly: Ky (as above)
Recycle or Die label (all releases, ambient/eclectic/electronic/modern jazz mix)
Blue States : Man Mountain
Bonobo: Animal Magic
Kinobe: VerseBridgechorus
Movietone: Blossom filled Streets
Robert Rich: Geometry / Rainforest
Sigur Ros: () (if you like darker/melancholic, more silent stuff)
Supersilent: 5 and 6 (two albums, silent and very uneventful, but powerful)
Susumu Yokota. Grinning Cat / The Boy and the Tree (both albums, decent ambient inducing electronica)

Jun 3, 2004 at 7:45 AM Post #21 of 66
I also recommend múm, although I like their previous album "Yesterday Was Dramatic, Today Is OK" more than the recent "Summer Make Good", which is not similar in many ways and not as good altogether, imho.

Alpha is also on my rotation list, I like "Stargazing", although again I would recommend their first album "Come from Heaven", which is (Imho) even better.

If you like very ambient / processed / dreamy stuf, consider also Fox/Budd "Translucense" (2003). Just bought it and it sounds very good.

Jun 4, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #24 of 66
I'll add Jean Michel-Jarre to the list of recommendations. Oxygene, Oxygene Parts 7-13 and Equinoxe are great albums to relax to
k1000smile.gif

Jun 6, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #25 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsherin
I'll add Jean Michel-Jarre to the list of recommendations. Oxygene, Oxygene Parts 7-13 and Equinoxe are great albums to relax to
k1000smile.gif

Well in that case, I'll add Air to the mix. I'm listening to Les Premieres Symptomes (sic?) a lot right now. I should get Moon Safari next.

Jun 7, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #27 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
Not to be a jerk or anything...

.. but Air is to electronic music as Kenny G is to jazz.
evil_smiley.gif

- Chris

That's ok. Sometimes I'm in a Kenny G for electronic music kind of mood. For the other folks out there, I think minya is commenting on the background music tendencies from this duo. The kitschiness is something I sought out too. If you know of any good 70s Mediterranean **** soundtracks, point them this way!

Jun 7, 2004 at 1:23 PM Post #28 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
Not to be a jerk or anything...

.. but Air is to electronic music as Kenny G is to jazz.
evil_smiley.gif

Interesting.

I find Air to be kitsch and naive on purpose.

Kenny G however... his music is to me: over-calculated, over-polished, purposefully inoffensive and cunningly simplistic.

For relaxation, early Air is good imho, so I'd second the recommendation.

Others that I dug up from my folders:

- Free zone compilations (SSR)
- Chill:in compilations (Kickin')
- Talvin Singh: OK
- Metamatic: From Death to...
- Aqualung (melancholic, with acoustic + electronic instruments, vocals)
- Zero 7: Simple things (very chilled, some think too simplistic)
- Afterlife: Simplicity 2000 (not my absolute favourites musically, but does relax)
- Biosphere (almost any release on Touch/Rune Grammofon/Apollo records)
- and of course: KLF: Chill out
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back