Good Earphones for DAP (portable!)
Jun 8, 2005 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

PzyMazter

New Head-Fier
Hi. I have a Rio Karma DAP and I'm looking for some good portable earphones of some kind (unamped much preferred). Overear is out of the question, but really that's all that's limiting me. Earbuds, IEM, or whatever you call non overear headphones are fine.

Now, what I'm looking for is something good in sound quality and comfort, very preferably with noise cancellation enough to mow the lawn or use on an airplane. My budget depends on how reliable the headphones are, maxing out slightly above $200 ONLY if I can be GUARANTEED that I will like the phones comfort-wise. That's the thing about IEM, I would go and get some Shure EC4 or Etymonic ER4 earplugs, but I don't know what that's like. Buying locally is impossible for anything of the caliber, so I really can't try before I buy. I'm also slightly time sensitive (want them before June 21st), so I really don't know what to do.

Any suggestions are warmly appreciated. And to be sure, I am considering lower grade earphones than E4C, I'm just bacially stating a maximum that I'm willing to go for if there's nothing else cheaper. Right now, I'm probably most inclined to buy E2C Shures just so that I can test out the whole IEM thing without committing most of my spending money for the summer to something I may or may not like.

Jun 8, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 4
Stating maximums is a dangerous business here on head-fi
icon10.gif
We tend to make suggestions for 150% of your maximum budget, and people tend to go ahead and buy them. For instance: the UM2. It's really a perfect all-rounder for your Karma at only $330, maybe less!

IEM comfort isn't a big deal, honestly. Foam tips tend to be very comfortable in general, and you will very quickly forget about having something jammed up your ears. If you want a good idea of how it feels, go buy some soft foam earplugs. It's like that. Plus the sound
cool.gif

What kind of music will you be listening to? If it's classical and acoustic, the ER-4P is a safe recommendation. IMO it's a bit too bright for rock and doesn't have enough bass for pop and electronica, but it's very detailed and exceptionally clear, and acousic instruments sound very nice indeed. I haven't heard the E4c, but the talk 'round the campfire is, they take many of the virtues of the ER-4 and put in some missing bass. Now, of course, if you wanted real earphones, there's the UM2...
very_evil_smiley.gif

P.S. - Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet.

Jun 8, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 4
I'll mostly be listening to alternative rock and electronica, so I'm 0 for 2 on your recommendation, but also I'm upgrading from stock earbuds, which I hate.
$330 is quite pricy, probably too much so. $230 is a maybe, at that...

I also might add that I'm no extreme audiophile when it comes to not knowing what I'm missing. Take that for what it's worth, as this is my first venture into the world of high fidelity headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back