Good earphones for $10-50 with a lower emphasis on bass, and higher emphasis on comfort and all-around sound quality?
Jun 14, 2014 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Tower

New Head-Fier
Hey guys-- I just joined up recently. I figured rather than digging through Amazon reviews like I have been for the last few hours, I'd just ask you guys what you think. You seem to know your stuff here.
(It's worth noting I'm quite new to this scene, and don't really know the difference between in-ear headphones, earphones, and in-ear monitors. Is there one?)

I think I'm definitely below the range you guys normally talk about here but I've seen a few topics on low-price earphones so I thought I'd give it a shot.

My last pair of earphone were a pair of JLAB J6MS earbuds. I liked them, but couldn't get them to fit quite right and they were never super comfortable and never sounded awesome. They, uh, went through the wash on accident. So I decided to get a new pair, and a hopefully better pair.

The consensus I'm reading here is that in the very low price range, the Philips SHE3590BK/10 are the winners in sound quality. However, it seems like their construction isn't that great. I want some earphones that are a little more sturdy and comfortable.

I mainly listen to alternative rock and indie pop music so I don't want a pair of super-duper bass-heavy earphones at the expense of everything else. I'd rather a pair that covers all the ranges well (I do like there to be a definite discernable bass, though.) A lot of the pairs I see seem to entirely focus on bass.

Can any of you guys recommend a pair that you think would work well based on the information I've given as well as comfort, build, and sound quality?

Thanks a lot guys!

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #2 of 10
Hmm, so the have to be bass light? If not, the MH1C is a nice choice for the price. 

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 10
I wouldn't necessarily say bass-light, it just seems like, from a lot of the ones I saw, most of the reviews said something along the lines of 'the bass is really great, the highs are a bit tinny/distorted.' I'd rather have a good range than just powerful bass.

Sorry, I'm really new to this whole scene, hope I'm making sense.

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #4 of 10
Yeah, I'm not quite sure what reviews mean by "distorted treble" but I really recommend the MH1C. They are warm but quite balanced, the cable is annoying though. 

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #6 of 10
  I can't find those on Amazon. I'd prefer to use Amazon since I just received a gift card. Is it the Sony MH1C? Looks like that's out of stock.

Yes, that is what I meant. 

Maybe go for the Astrotec AX35? They may be a little outside of your budget though. 

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #8 of 10
The Astrotecs look pretty good, I'll also probably shop around for those MH1Cs if I find them available. They are a little higher than what I thought I'd go for right now but I dunno.
'Not too much bass' isn't specific enough really, I should definitely figure out what kind of sound signature I want though.
Do you know anything about Brainwavz? They seem to have some pretty good ones with an emphasis on balanced sound but I've never heard of them.

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #9 of 10
If you are looking for something cheaper than maybe the Philips that you mentioned in the OP is good as well. People say it is V shaped, but personally I haven't hard it personally. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back