Good dubstep/techno cans?
Jan 29, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 17
Im going to go against the grain a bit here and suggest the V-Moda Crossfade LPs.  

This was my first decent headphone purchase not too long ago, and I love them.  My main listening consists of Dubstep (deep dubstep with lots of sub-bass), DnB, dirty electro, and Glitch/Downtempo.  The crossfades perform extremely well for those genres, especially at the $110 I paid for them.  I love the fit and build quality of them as well.  They may not necessarily be considered "audiophile grade" around here, but trust me..for electronic music they are golden.  Hip-Hop as well.

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 17
I use my shure 750dj for dubstep. sounds really good and very affordable. also found the sennheiser HD-25-13 to be really good especially if you're on the go a lot (trying to get myself the 13 model but it's rare).

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
Im going to go against the grain a bit here and suggest the V-Moda Crossfade LPs.  

This was my first decent headphone purchase not too long ago, and I love them.  My main listening consists of Dubstep (deep dubstep with lots of sub-bass), DnB, dirty electro, and Glitch/Downtempo.  The crossfades perform extremely well for those genres, especially at the $110 I paid for them.  I love the fit and build quality of them as well.  They may not necessarily be considered "audiophile grade" around here, but trust me..for electronic music they are golden.  Hip-Hop as well.

Those looks amazing. They're definitely in the running if only for the style.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #8 of 17
Ultrasone HFI-580 is what you are looking for. I believe we seem to have similar preferences and i would like to offer my experience

I know someone endorsed the VModa Crossfade LPs, but I have them and they are very dissapointing sound-quality wise.
Here is my comparison:

Build Quality:

Okay, the V-Moda's are built like tanks. Its metal-on-metal godliness in a headphone. Not saying that the 580 is bad however. The 580 has an aluminum cover with plastic that feels pretty solid. You really can't go wrong with neither headphones in terms of build quality.

WINNER: VMODA

Accessories + Features:

The LPs have detachable-braided cables: a very very nice feature. The braided cables are stylish and don't seem to break easily. The 580 doesn't have a detachable cable, but it is of high quality. However, the 580's cable is LONG, like 10ft.

The LPs come with two cables, a hard case, and a 1/4inch jack. the 580 has a soft velvet bag and a 1/4 inch connector

The 580s can fold and the cups swivel, which the LPs do not do. 580s are better for DJs

Comfort wise, the LP's have some weird polygonal shape to them that does not bode well for my ears. The 580 has a traditional circular shape and the pleather is softer+higher quality. also more comfortable

WINNER: TIE

Sound Quality:

Okay, this is the big one. 
Since you come from the Shure SRH840's, you will be utterly dissapointed with the LPs as I was. The LPs bass does not go too deep, the punch is weaker than you would expect from basshead  cans. They also suffer from bass bleeding into the midrange. The Midrange, already suffering from bleed, is also not pronounced. For example, while listening to Chrispy's "Predator VIP", the modulated notes (aka the "wobbles" lol) feel disappointing and are muffled with the other frequencies. The high-range is average, is not too bad but its nothing special in comparison to the 580s

The HFI-580's are known as the "punchy" bass can. The bass is definitely felt, and shakes your ears in songs like Excision and Datsik's "Swagga". You can really hear the separation between the midrange and the lower end. "Some Chords" by Deadmau5 is particularly impressive with the bass, as he intended. This song was just a big bloated, and unpunchy mess in the VModa LPs. 

Though the mids are recessed in audiophile standards, they are still more pronounced and clearer than the LPs. The mids work well for trance and house addicts. Now the highs, oh my god the highs. These cans really add texture to hi-hats and cymbals. You sincerely feel like the drums are there, right in front of you. You will definitely appreciate the highs in songs such as "Dirt Nap" by Excision and Subvert. In this song, you can really feel the "claps" in the introduction, and it makes the song just that more impressive.

Since both are closed cans, soundstage is not the priority. But i will say this, the "S-logic" in the 580s will be much appreciated since it creates a better soundstage than the LPs. You start to feel like you're in the actual club than listening to headphones. The LPs are average, for a closed-can.

Overall WINNER: HFI-580, without question. not even close. seriously. Buy them

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #9 of 17
Denon AH-D2000 Is the best because you can get them for $200 limited time. Some link floating around the website.

They are considered one of the best at their $280-350 price point, so at $200 it seems like a no brainer to me.

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80-ohm
Denon D2000
M-Audio Q40
Sony XB-500 or XB-700
Ultrasone HFI-580

The Beyers or Denons would also benefit from a little bit of amplification.

Tried all of these except the Ultrasones.

XBs have the most bass, but veiled mids/highs. Most fun. In the Bay Area, we would say these "hella slap".
D2000s bass have more quality, less quantity with detailed mids/highs. The treble can be a bit sharp at times though. Most refined.
Q40s are the most neutral in my opinion. Bass is still very much present, but doesn't have as much quality/quantity as D2000s. Higher frequencies are more flat, and less fatiguing. Not as lush sounding as D2000s. More portable than the previous two.
DT770s, from what I remember, have as much bass as the D2000s quantity wise, but doesn't control it as well. Bleeds into mids at high volume. Highs were even more piercing than the Denons. I personally bought the Denons over these.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #12 of 17
denon ah-d2000 are definitely some of the better headphones for dubstep. for techno, the ultrasone have a slight edge over them due to the increase mid-bass.

for dubstep/dnb, i think denon are the best way to go.

overall though, you really can't go wrong with either one.

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #13 of 17
Ultrasone HFI-580, loved them, great with fast paced dubstep but be careful; 10 feet non detachable cable... you might want to have it braided.
I wouldn't ignore the Shure SRH750DJ either, I just got them for 89 CDN and they attack dubstep / techno pretty well, slow or fast, fairly good soundstage. Very warm sound; female vocals in some techno songs feel a bit wrong to my liking (especially compared to the HFi's) but this might be caused by a serious lack of burn in (maybe). Same problem with the V-Moda LP's, but even worse, highs and mids are "meh" IMO.

Never listened to the D2000's yet, but I guess they' would all compliment each other very well.. so they are next on my "me want" list !
Any choice given here is pretty good IMO. I followed Dubstep girl's advice once and wasn't at all disappointed so..

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
Ultrasone HFI-580, loved them, great with fast paced dubstep but be careful; 10 feet non detachable cable... you might want to have it braided.
I wouldn't ignore the Shure SRH750DJ either, I just got them for 89 CDN and they attack dubstep / techno pretty well, slow or fast, fairly good soundstage. Very warm sound; female vocals in some techno songs feel a bit wrong to my liking (especially compared to the HFi's) but this might be caused by a serious lack of burn in (maybe). Same problem with the V-Moda LP's, but even worse, highs and mids are "meh" IMO.

Never listened to the D2000's yet, but I guess they' would all compliment each other very well.. so they are next on my "me want" list !
Any choice given here is pretty good IMO. I followed Dubstep girl's advice once and wasn't at all disappointed so..

I know in ear buds don't compare to full size headphones, but if I wanted to look at those for potential options which ones would you rec?

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #15 of 17
Heya,

$30 for a pair of Panasonic HTF600's will give you one of the better bass per dollar setups on a dime.

$120~170 range gives you the Shure SRH750 DJ, Ultrasone HFI 580 or the Beyer DT770 PRO.

$200ish range gives you the used Denon D2000.

And don't forget to power any of the above with a great little DAC/AMP combo if you don't already have one, like this E10.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back