Good DIY Tube Preamp?
Dec 12, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #3 of 19
Dec 12, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 19
Here's a few ideas, but very likely not meeting your budget (other than maybe last idea):

Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid... Yes its over 2X your budget, but it has good reviews, support, etc. It appears the kit of choice for <= $500 from what I read a while back.

Lighthouse Electric Pre - Don't know much about it, but it came up in my searches.

Something like this maybe not using premium parts... Also don't know much about it but it looks nice
wink.gif

Taking a DIY tube or tube hybrid design & adding parts to try to make it pass as a pre-amp (input selector, muting delay, etc). If that didn't work you would still have yourself a headamp
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck.

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 19
Check out the Bottlehead Foreplay III. The kits sound great, instructions very clear, and the online forum support is top-notch. Bottlehead.com I recently finished a Seduction phono-pre, a Foreplay III line stage and a pair of Paramount mono-block amps. Previeously I had built a few CMoys and made a passive line switch.

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 19
Aikido
biggrin.gif
(I am biased, you see).
Could possibly be built for less than $200 if you shop(glassware/yahoo kit does not come with xfmr or regulator, but they sell a regulator seperately).
The 24V would prolly be cheaper than a HV version.

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #10 of 19
YES, Aikido & Bottlehead... How could I forget them? A very messy pile of tags & URLs in del.icio.us is one way
smily_headphones1.gif

Wanting front-panel controls (& treb & bass that could be fully bypassed), I took a different route to spend $300+ on my pre; picked up a used AMC CVT 1030 ( reviews ) for like $175 delivered then added muting delay, some better caps, real tube sockets, tubes & ALPs pot...

This way I could tell the wife "It's less than $200!" when I bought it
smily_headphones1.gif
Oh, the games we must play
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #12 of 19
When I add everything to the cart (except the tubes) it comes out to $110. Does that sound right? It seems like I could get this one done in less than $200 if I get creative with the case. Right?

Dec 12, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #14 of 19
Exactly which one are you referring?
None of the kits on Glassware come with PS's.
The low volt H-PS-1 regulator is $24 I think, but you need to add a xfmr to that.
The high volt PS-1 regulator is $74 I think, also need 1 or more xfmr's with that one, one for B+, one for heaters, or a combo xfmr with secondaries you need for both, and that will depend on the kit/tubes selected, as you may have 12V heaters or 6.3.
This is what makes the 24V aikido simpler, the heaters and B+ can be hooked to just one PS(6GM8 tubes may be hard to find at times).

Dec 12, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #15 of 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Back