Good DIY Mid-Summer Reading List
Aug 7, 2007 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

joneeboi

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a problem. I never seem to be able to get off the computer at night, so I thought I might as well read some good learning material. My usual habit formerly was to scour the FS forums or read the newest topics in each forum or maybe dig up some R10 or K1K thread. But delving in DIY no more than 9 months ago, I'm finding I want to know more. Tried some Walt Jung articles but they were a bit out of my grasp. Thus, how you are going to help me is by supplying me with some great beginner DIY reading materials. I've just begun a bit with DIY speakers, but anything audio is fine. So, what are you other guys reading out there?

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he is looking for online material that he doesnt have to pay for. I'd say head over to diyaudio.com and read as much material from there as you can. There are a lot of experts over there that submit big articles.

library?
wink.gif

i know, i forget that they exist from time to time as well... but the $50-100+ price tag that many textbooks carry usually jogs my memory. if he has access to a decent university library, it's almost guaranteed to have at least one copy of horowitz and hill... even some public libraries probably have it. i think my school's library has a total of 7(!) copies.

Aug 8, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a problem. I never seem to be able to get off the computer at night

Wow. I thought it was just me. Same problem over here...haha...
Try any of the other forums...
Headwize.com
diyforums.org
diyaudio.com
stevehoffman.tv
tangentsoft.net
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #6 of 13
Aug 8, 2007 at 12:19 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by xmokshax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
library?
wink.gif

i know, i forget that they exist from time to time as well...

Yeah, who goes to libraries these days anymore? :p I hadn't actually considered a university library. I mean, the University of Alberta has some million+ books and people just use the library as a quiet/loud study space or a place to watch YouTube videos and BitTorrent-obtained movies. I shall check it out soon thanks.

Aug 14, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #11 of 13
there are a lot of good online materials; diyaudio, tangentsoft etc but for me I prefer reading from books. So just fine some good electronic books from library near u.

Aug 14, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a problem. I never seem to be able to get off the computer at night, so I thought I might as well read some good learning material. My usual habit formerly was to scour the FS forums or read the newest topics in each forum or maybe dig up some R10 or K1K thread. But delving in DIY no more than 9 months ago, I'm finding I want to know more. Tried some Walt Jung articles but they were a bit out of my grasp. Thus, how you are going to help me is by supplying me with some great beginner DIY reading materials. I've just begun a bit with DIY speakers, but anything audio is fine. So, what are you other guys reading out there?

Morgan jones "building valve amplifiers"
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back