Good DIY Books?
Sep 17, 2006 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Xiode

100+ Head-Fier
To give you a brief background of myself - I'm a 16 year old high school student looking to get into DIY and possibly pursue a career in electronics. I have little to no experience with DIY or electronics at this point.

Does anyone know of any good books to get me going in the right direction? This would include both DIY books and general electronics books for a foundation.

I was possibly considering these:
Book 1
Book 2

Just general FYI, I'm not a big fan of eBooks although if anyone knows of any, I'd be more than willing to check them out.

Sep 17, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 7
For general electronics, the "bible" is of course Art of Electronics (Hill & Horowitz). However if you're an electornic newbie, There Are No Electrons (Amdahl) seems to be widely recommended around here. It'll probably make for great reading for a HS student.

Go to Headwize and read all the articles on there. Go to Tangentsoft's electronics website and read everything on there. Then go make a few projects.

Once you're confident and want to move on to tube amplifiers, buy BOTH of Morgan Jones' books (Valve Amplifiers and Building Valve Amplifiers). Those books have a lot of practical advice form a very funny man.

Sep 17, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by eVITAERC
electronics website and read everything on there. Then go make a few projects.

Once you're confident and want to move on to tube amplifiers, buy BOTH of Morgan Jones' books (Valve Amplifiers and Building Valve Amplifiers). Those books have a lot of practical advice form a very funny man.

if you're into valve amps, these books are highly recommended
smily_headphones1.gif

there's also a free book from RCA on tubes(very old book and seems its out of copyright). it's called "radiotron designer's handbook 14".

Sep 18, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarthel
if you're into valve amps, these books are highly recommended

I need to learn the basics first! Any ideas of a book(s) to give me a foundation?

Sep 18, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #6 of 7
I can only recomend the Art of Electronics. This will give you the basics of how resistors and capacitors work, largly omitting complex maths. It goes into further detail of transistors and FETs which starts getting complex, but after reading through the first 3 chapters you should be able to open a design like the Dynalo and say ahh yes a differential input stage driven by an constant current source with a cascoded output stage, and know generally what it is doing.

The book is also a great introduction into opamp circuitry, powersupply, digital logic, low noise design etc.

If you are more interested from that point to take a more "university" approach then you will need a design based book like "Intro to electric circuits" (Dorf & Svoboda) or "Electrical Engineering" (Swartz and Oldham)

These two books start with basic concepts and then hit you with math. Complex math, circuit simplification, bode analysis, forrier transforms, that kind of thing.

I recomend start with the Art of Electronics, and pick the math option when you get beyond that.

Sep 18, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
I can only recomend the Art of Electronics.

Are you referring to the hand written "reference" book or the student edition? I was looking into both of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back