Good Desktop Speakers?
Sep 27, 2013 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Vague

Head-Fier
Looking for desktop speakers. Been looking at the AudioEngine A2 and M-Audio Studiophile Av40 so far. Do you guys have any recommendations? Budget is around £200. 

Sep 28, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 30
If you can extend it to around P260 then go for Aktimate Micro. Else go for anything by Swan. Any bookshelf by Swan is better than A5+ and any speaker by Swan is at least comparable to A2, and often better.

Sep 28, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #4 of 30
Gallo Stradas.

Sep 28, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #5 of 30
  If you can extend it to around P260 then go for Aktimate Micro. Else go for anything by Swan. Any bookshelf by Swan is better than A5+ and any speaker by Swan is at least comparable to A2, and often better.

I'll check them out.
  I'll put in my vote for the A2's if you want a warmer sound or the AV40's for a more analytical sound.

If it helps i listen to heavy metal, dubstep, classical and rap. I know weird mix :p

Gallo Stradas.

I'll check them out, thanks.

Sep 28, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 30
For 300p the new best is ruark audio mr1 which beats aktimate micro.

Sep 28, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #8 of 30
100p above of the op price range is a little bit harsh don´t you think?
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #11 of 30
If you have limited space get the Audioengie A2. If you have room get something with larger drivers. The A2's appeal lies in their small size. If size isn't important you can do better for the price. As someone mentioned Swan is a good choice. I would also recommend the Airmotiv 4 if you can find them in your budget. 

Back on the A2 for a minute, the biggest flaw of the A2 is they are tuned with a midbass hump that tends to make the mids sound muddy at times. You can fix that with EQ, but it is annoying nonetheless. 

Sep 28, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #12 of 30
Between
Aktimate
Ruar
Emotiva
Swan
You can't go wrong with any, especially the first three are just excellent with Ruar being the best.

What brands are available in your country? Do you get PSB Alpha PS1? That is a step up from A5.

Sep 28, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #13 of 30
See this CNET article about separate amp and speakers: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57439115-47/build-your-own-desktop-stereo-for-under-$70/.

With a £200 budget, you could certainly find even better passive speakers that would give you a much better sounding setup than you would get from powered ones in that price range.

Sep 28, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #14 of 30
The CNET article doesn't say that you can get better passive speakers in 200 pounds! Don't make things up.

If you stick to the best powered speakers, then at any given price point they outperform passive speakers. Provided you don't fall for hype like Audioengine.

Passive is better is a myth. It depends on the exact situation. However, there are several quality powered speakers which are better than anything passive in their range. They are from brands I mentioned.

And the only way to verify is to listen to them yourself. You won't find too many reviews online about this.

Sep 28, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #15 of 30
The CNET article doesn't say that you can get better passive speakers in 200 pounds! Don't make things up.

If you stick to the best powered speakers, then at any given price point they outperform passive speakers. Provided you don't fall for hype like Audioengine.

Passive is better is a myth. It depends on the exact situation. However, there are several quality powered speakers which are better than anything passive in their range. They are from brands I mentioned.

And the only way to verify is to listen to them yourself. You won't find too many reviews online about this.

I'm basing this off my own experience with a WIDE range of speakers, not just what the CNET article says :rolleyes:

For instance, if the OP can find some Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s on special (they are on closeout in the UK), the Diamonds and a good t-amp would be much better in SQ than any of the suggestions you have made in the £200 range. The hard part is one has to know which passive speakers are good values, and which are not. Just like with powered monitors. However, it's often possible to find good passives on closeout in some countries (UK since they make them there). Much harder to find those deals on powered speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back