Good desktop speakers under.. let's say 800$.
Jan 5, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #16 of 20
Without the need for pumping bass, you have identified the stud in your price range.  I believe studio monitors should be grouped in tiers, and the KH120A pretty much kick *ss in its tier.  Lots of happy owners, including myself, can be found over at Gearslutz.com if you want to venture over there.

I noticed that you like the Focals too.  The Focal CMS line is excellent for the price.  I would also recommend you listen to the Genelec M series as it is in the KH120A's tier.  It may just come down to the house sound that you prefer most.

And just for fun, check out Sonic Sense's monitor library - https://soundcloud.com/sonic-sense-pro-audio/sets/studio-monitors

Finally, different shop equals different room equals different acoustics.  Definitely listen to your final choices in the same shop if possible.  Good luck.

Jan 5, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #18 of 20
Thanks guys. I went for the Neumanns, having brought along someone else who (without reading reviews) pointed out that their favourite was the Neumann.
It is also only 100$/pair more expensive than the Dynaudios. As a plus, stands are bundled together with them.
(I'm not actually sure if I'm supposed to put isolation pads on stands or simply put the speakers on them? for a better sound)

I'll post later on my impressions. It will be interesting to see how they perform in this room that is very far from optimal.

Jan 6, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #19 of 20
Congrats.

Proper height and isolation of the monitors help. What is wrong with your room? Rent a mic setup from your pro audio store and measure your room acoustics with this software. As you know, the room is half the battle.

http://www.roomeqwizard.com/

Jan 6, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #20 of 20
I just picked up a set of Kanto Yu2 speakers and they sound pretty good with the built in usb dac. I paid 250 cad at ncix, but their website has them listed as 229usd. Far under your budget.

Edit: didn't see you already found speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back