Good desktop speakers under.. let's say 800$.
Dec 25, 2015 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

xMisterVx

New Head-Fier
I've owned a pair of Fostex 0.4n nearfield monitors for a while, and they seemed to do well with my Asus Xonar Essence STX,
actually all of it purchased according to a recommendation here.
(I know it's a card that's great for driving headphones primarily, and I will get back to that in a short while. I just really miss having music in my not so large room)

For several reasons I'm looking for a replacement/upgrade, I can afford something that's a bit higher level.
Unfortunately space is still a consideration, and I don't think I would go over a grand for a pair of speakers - yet.

Having said that, the KEF X300 from the buying guide seem to be like the perfect match:
- the sound and design are hopefully an upgrade
- they allow for playback from other devices, which is useful for hosting occasions.

Except for one thing, though, that they connect to the PC... via USB only? How is that even possible? Maybe I'm reading the manual
wrong, but they only have a USB input and a 3.5mm auxiliary jack. Would this mean that my Xonar is kind of pointless with those?
(The Fostexes connect to the back of the card in a very straightforward fashion, separate cables for left and right).
I'm sure this is actually a stupid question because I'm missing something simple. Maybe they're just not made to work with that =/

Other recommendations are more than welcome, since I'm not sure I can trust any mainstream gadget websites with audio recommendations.
It's also a bit unfortunate since I generally can't go to a shop with a large hi-fi selection, here it's either MediaMarkt or Bang&Olufsen, so I have to trust what knowledgeable people write,
and go for an oft-repeated recommendation.
(To be clear I'm only a consumer, have nothing to do with production; I listen mostly to classical with a lot jazz, 50s-80s stuff thrown in to the mix, have no need for pumping bass etc.)

I assume people will suggest Yamaha HS8s, but what about the stuff that What Hi-Fi recommends - Ruark Audio MR1, though they might be a bit on the big side? (the wood finish is much appreciated though!
As usual, swamped with options...

Dec 25, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 20
I believe those KEFs use an onboard DAC. So, t's just taking your transmission via USB and doing the work locally. I haven't heard them, but KEF usually makes fairly neutral stuff, even their lower line items.

That said, I use Focal Solo6bes, but the Focal CMS line is also very good indeed. Check 'em out!

Edit: Please keep in mind, you will probably not get the same low frequency extension with some monitors as you will with a good set of cans. Also, I just checked Sweetwater, and discovered that these probably won't meet your budget.  My other go-to reco is usually the Neumann KH120, but you'll definitely los LF response with those.

Double Edit: Perhaps the Focal Alpha line, or something from the KRK Rokit series? 

Dec 25, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 20
Thank you for the suggestions. I do get that the bass extension in particular would not be as good, but I'm prepared to sacrifice that somewhat; realistically speaking they're going to be, relatively, for easy listening more than anything (for full immersion I'd go for a good pair of headphones that'd be an improvement over my current HD558, and perhaps later with more budget and space for some much better speakers...). 

The Rokits were ones that I'd seen mentioned quite a lot, but I'm wondering whether they would really be much of an upgrade, they seem to be in the same price category and they were already around when I was looking at the Fostexes. Or if, say, the Ruarks would be a downgrade, because I'm really liking what I see from the reviews (no idea what to trust though). Damnit, I really would like to go listen to them in a quiet room somewhere... =/

Dec 26, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #7 of 20
There's another problem I nearly forgot to mention:  the Fostexes got interference from... my monitor. As in, there were scratching sounds
in them when no music was playing and they were placed close to the monitor. I had to buy a longer table in the end (first one was tiny though).
I do hope

Thank you for the Emotiva recommendation, it's definitely a name I've seen before. 

Damn, the Vanatoo's sound like they could be great, only they don't ship outside North America.

On the passive speakers... I feel that's going to happen when I've more space, both physical and budget-wise. Then I'll also have time to
go around listening to and choosing the stuff I really like. For now I would like something that's a bit more hassle-free.

Dec 26, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #9 of 20
Interesting, though I usually prefer to play it safe and, since I really can't listen to most of those,
get something that's proven to be good.
And besides, my fiance would really hate the design of those... and I wouldn't be a fan either.

I dunno, I'm kinda stumped because... it seems you can get better, bigger speakers for the price of some smaller ones,
that are simply more expensive because they have to cram their sound into a smaller body. I'd just pay extra for the size
reduction and be worse off in the end... but then there's no way to have good placement and stuff for the bigger one =/

Dec 29, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #11 of 20
Okay, I spent a day going around shops, listening to speakers.
I had the good luck to go into a musical instrument store that turned out to be the only one in the neighbourhood to have a rack with monitors, to test with my own source
(okay it's just my phone with some lossless and some lossy files).

Maybe the positioning was a problem, since the results weren't necessarily what I expected.
Yamaha HS5s had this ringing clarity to them, something I could really appreciate on some (piano) tracks, but definitely not on everything. And really lacked bass (I'm not getting a sub).
Adam a5 surprised me in the negative sense - I thought I was going for those, actually, but they sounded muddy. Again, maybe something wrong with placement.
KRKs were about as punchy as I would've thought, having read the general opinion.
From the smaller ones I think I liked Focal Alpha 50s the most - rather bulky, but clear. That is, until I started switching to the lower shelf...
And then on the second shelf were Neumann KH120s. Another story altogether, probably favourites all in all. I can see that I'm not ready to pay for lower quality sound than that.
I even ran some not very good MP3s through them, they sounded class. 
I would need a DAC for them, the store recommended me to go with something like the Steinberg 22 or the Roland Quad-Capture.

Next to them were Dynaudio BM5a MkIII. I don't know how they are from the point of view of accuracy, maybe they're too flattering; but I really liked their sound.
To the point of trying to decide which are better for me, those or the KH120. Even if everyone seems to agree that the KH are a level above...
Maybe it's just because they were closer to the wall, which would not be in favour of the KH120s? but I thought they sounded comparable,
with the BM5a feeling... bigger and more open in some parts, and then losing a bit in clarity... but I'm not sure.
But then the KH120 are only 90$ more per speaker, I could go for them.

Aside from that, in another store I was given Focal Aria 6-something to test, and also Pro-ject Speaker Box 5's.
The latter sounded amazing for their size. I don't know if the way he placed them made them sound better (he was also using a much better source),
but I was wowed. They sounded excellent with jazz, good bass reproduction for their really small size, worked very well even with
loud, harsh tracks; maybe a bit lacking in spaciousness (more obvious in orchestral pieces) but they are rather small. 
Excellent build quality as well, they looked really close to a pair of Martin Logans next to them (those cost exactly a grand more).
Passive at ~280$ a pair... I don't know, it feels like there's a catch somewhere (other than my ears being untrained),
because the few reviews I could find in English make them sound crappy. I really don't know how they managed to sound as pleasing
as the Martin Logans. Of course I'd have to buy a good integrated amp for them, which means like 500$ more...
but that also means that I can get one with included Bluetooth etc.

Decisions, decisions. I'm sure people here would rather go for the Neumanns, or?..

Jan 3, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #14 of 20
Alright. They require balanced input, though, which means (especially since I'd use the laptop and/or phone as source), need of a DAC.
Would a Steinberg UR22 or Roland Quad-Capture be enough for them? That's what the store guy recommended... I would also be able to hook up a CD player to that at some point, which would be nice...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back