Good, delay free EQ for Windows
Dec 8, 2022 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

EmileM

New Head-Fier
Hi, I've been using Audio Hijack for MacOS on my Apple machine, and enjoy that a lot. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good System Wide EQ in Windows? I've used Boom3d in the past, but hoping for something a little better. Seems to be a difficult subject to Google-fu.

Cheers.

Dec 8, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 8
EqualizerAPO is pretty much the standard AFAIK.
If you don't like its equalizers you can use it with VSTs also.

There are a few other software options, or "virtual device"/"patch" utilities, but in my experience EqAPO is the simplest & lowest latency choice (aside from hardware w/ some kind of built in or software controlled EQ)

Dec 9, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for your reply. EqualizerAPO, I've found in the past, and had trouble getting it to work properly. Cant remember exactly what the problems were, but it ended up being hard work, and itd stop working after updates etc. Maybe I'll give it a go again, and check youtube for some configuration guides.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 8
I guess I've been fortunate so far- only complication I've had is needing to install it per-device & forgetting to restart windows after a new device installation. Think I'd be inclined to go the hardware route if that failed for me, but to elaborate on the other options I'm aware of:

The virtual device stuff would be Jack or VB Virtual Cable, which can be used to route/loopback windows audio through whatever software you have that allows both input & output devices (like a DAW, some players, etc..), but I've found that a bit more complicated and latency prone.

Some other software that might work: I believe JRiver player has a feature for handling system audio (also hosts VST IIRC), when I tried it had some latency issues, perhaps it is better now? Some "Virtual Mixer" software that people use for streaming and such- like VB Voicemeeter Banana, have EQ- though I have never tried it myself.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #5 of 8
Nice. Good to have another option to try, thanks.

It was a fair few years ago that I last tried eapo. I’ll try it again. It may have been a compatibility problem with my old sound card drivers even. I have a new machine.

Dec 16, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 8
you could give CamillaDSP a go, i really like it on my RPI4
but i have to agree on windows EqualizerAPO is the goto (but i ditched windows entirely for music reproduction unless i watch youtube/movies where i also use EqualizerAPO)

Jan 5, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 8
I run stereotool. It is a winamp compatible plugin. I run it thru winamp, mediamonkey 4, and musicbee. Lots of features that operate in the digital domain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back