Good Deal on Energy Speakers??
Dec 25, 2001 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6
I can get the Energy E:XL-15 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers NEW for only $98 CDN (~$61 US). They only come in a birch finish for that price, but I think they look pretty good (maybe even better) in birch... Is this a really good price?? AudioReview gave it good reviews (4.48/5, but they also gave good reviews to the (apparently crappy) Sony V700's and bad reviews to the (really good) V6's, so I don't like to rely on their reviews alone. Any opinions?

Dec 25, 2001 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 6
Here's 6 pictures of them in black, the ones I can get would be in birch, which IMO looks just fine.

db100051_1.gif

db100051_2.gif

db100051_3.gif

db100051_4.gif

db100051_5.gif

db100051_6.gif

db100051_7.gif

Some spec's....

Features:

Tweeter:
13mm Hyperdome

Woofers:
14 cm mica polypropylene cone, injection molded basket

Sensitivity:
90 dB

Crossover Point:
2.2 kHz

Frequency Response:
60Hz - 20kHz

Impedance:
8 ohms (Nominal)

Recommended Amp Power:
15-100 watts

Dimensions:
H 25cm/9.8"
W 15cm/5.9"
D 23cm/9.1"

Weight:
3.2 kg / 7.1 lbs

Dec 25, 2001 at 10:59 AM Post #3 of 6
I'd only recommend the XL15 in a really small room, they sound nice (and are a steal at that price!) but don't have a lot of bass. Can you also get a good deal on the e:XL 16's? Those are only slightly more expensive here but sound much better.

Dec 26, 2001 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by wab
I'd only recommend the XL15 in a really small room, they sound nice (and are a steal at that price!)

How small is really small?? > My room is 11 feet by 12 feet, is that considered small? I have lots of stuff in my room, carpet on the floor, and posters all over the walls, so I wouldn't have any echoes...I really don't have a clue when it comes to room acoustics...
Quote:

...but don't have a lot of bass.

I actually don't want room shaking bass (I'm only 16 so I live with my family), I just want to be able to hear some bass with decent quality.
Quote:

Can you also get a good deal on the e:XL 16's? Those are only slightly more expensive here but sound much better.

The deal is only on e:xl-15's , not 16's (or else I would spring for the 16's based on any reviews I've read.) The deal is on birch speakers only, the black ones are still the regular price...I guess they had trouble selling the birch ones.

PS. This is a boxing day sale so I would really appreciate any real quick answers. (Thanks a bunch, wab, and sorry for the rush hehe)

Dec 26, 2001 at 6:26 AM Post #5 of 6
Time is running out! (...and I'm going crazy....)
At the moment I am thinking there's like a 70% chance of me getting them. Even if they don't turn out to be too great or if I want to get better bookshelf speakers later down the road, I could probably either (1) sell them for at least this price (2) use them as computer speakers [i would have to get some sort of connector i suppose, don't know much about interconnects and adapters] or (3) the most likely option - use them as rear speakers in a surround setup for movies.

Dec 26, 2001 at 9:01 AM Post #6 of 6
I haven't tried them at home so I don't really know.. I have the 16's in a 4m by 4m room and they fill the room with ease. I'd say go for it since they are at least very good for the other things you mentioned (rear-channel, computer speakers etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back