Good DAP for Ety Hf5?
Sep 1, 2012 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

SpartanD63

Head-Fier
Hello! I've been using the Samsung Galaxy S with Voodoo sound and RockBox as my portable DAP. But, the screen has shattered and the rest of it is quickly falling apart. So, I'm looking for a new dedicated DAP.

I would like a player with great SQ and I would like to keep the sound signature of the Hf5 (I don't need more bass or anything like that...)

My budget is about $100, but I could stretch a little bit if needed...

EDIT: Things I'm currently considering are SanDisk Sansa Clip+/Fuze, perhaps repairing a broken iPod 5.5G I have lying around, repairing my Galaxy S, or something (any suggestions would be appreciated...)

Sep 1, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 24
The Sony S764 are very good sunding DAPs(comparable to A, Z series) with longer battery life and bluetooth. The other DAPs like Philips Go Gear, Clip+ and S:Flo 2 are great buy too under this budget or little over.

Sep 2, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 24
Hmmm. So, right now it's a tie between the Clip+ for the price or the S:Flo2 for the line out.

They both seem to have mixed reviews... I'm not sure which to go for...
confused.gif

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #4 of 24
Maybe get the clip as it's cheap enough.  If you don't like it that much you can either sell it or keep as a backup player.

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #5 of 24
That sounds like a good plan. Even if I don't like it and can't return or sell it, $30 isn't much of a loss.

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 24
Well, I decided to fix the iPod since it was laying around. ($0) And I Rockboxed it. What a waste of time. The iPod seems to be incapable of sounding how I want it to. :-\

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #7 of 24
Hmmm. Thinking about it more, after seeing the size, I think that the Clip+ would be too tiny... 

What would be a good price for that S:Flo2? The Cowon C2 and Colorfly C3 both caught my eye too...

TOO. MANY. OPTIONS. lol

Sep 10, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #8 of 24
The tiny size is one of the best things about the Clip+, as well as the excellent SQ.

I have the Ety HF-5s and have been using them on a Rockboxed Clip+ for about 6 months. Needs a tiny boost in the lower frequencies for my tasts, but for ~£25 you really can't go wrong.

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #11 of 24
That C2 does look good. But so does the Clip+. Any other opinions?

Why, because it's the cheaper option?

I own the C2 and I own a Clip+. The Clip+ just sounds like music all smeared together, there's no real separation of instruments, most mirco detailing you would usually hear is hidden away within a track, people don't know any better because they never hear these sections. Bass response and overall detail quality is just above average. I love the Clip+ but it's sound is very average once you listen to higher end gear. That's why it's $30.

$30 worth of sound compared to $110 US. You can easily cheap out with a Clip+ but you would know where the money went if you spend it elswhere.

By all means grab a Clip+, this all depends how serious you are about your music.

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #12 of 24
Well, looks like I'll be getting the C2. (Also because it has a better battery.)

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #13 of 24
Please post up your thoughts on pairing the C2 and your Ety HF5s. I have myself the same pair of IEMs and was also looking for a decent DAP to pair up with my phones. From the looks of the other devices on Cowon's website, the C2 definitely is a no-frills DAP and seems to be ideal for me as well. I'll be eagerly awaiting your review.

Thanks!

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #14 of 24
I'll let you know how it is vannel. That is, if I can convince someone that a $140 "no name" player is a better choice than a $35 SanDisk player...

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #15 of 24
I'll let you know how it is vannel. That is, if I can convince someone that a $140 "no name" player is a better choice than a $35 SanDisk player...

:eek:

No name player? Haha. That someone is obviously not a huge fan of audio equipment then. I'll be hoping for good news. Good luck!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.1, Jellybean) via Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back