Good DAC upgrade from Schiit Bitfrost Multibit?
Jun 13, 2017 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Gibson59

500+ Head-Fier
As the title suggests i'm looking to upgrade my Schiit Bitfrost Multibit. Honestly nothing wrong with it, I quite enjoy it, i've just got a case of upgraditis and want to explore something new at a higher price point. I'm looking for something in the $1,000-$1,500 price range that will squeeze even more amazingness out of my HE1000 v2.

I've been SO tempted by the Holo Spring "Kitsune Tuned Edition" or the Schiit Yggdrasil, but i can't justify spending that much right now. I love Schiit, but i'm not into the rather large form factor of the Gungnir, i'd rather something a bit smaller as my ideal space for a DAC is about 12" wide (for the perfect DAC I would go larger form factor if i needed to, slightly smaller is just a preference). I don't feel strongly about R2R vs delta sigma, DSD, MQA, etc, but with that said i would like to get something which has technology that will hold up for the next few years and allow me to grow into high res eventually (i mainly listen to Tidal hifi/masters and vinyl right now). Still learning about all this so please excuse me if my lingo sucks regarding DAC capabilities. I'm open to purchasing new or used.

This will be in my chain between a Mac Mini running Roon server and a Wells Audio Milo for headphones (HE1000 v2) and Peachtree Nova 220se for speakers (Martin Logan Motion 40). I like a vast soundstage, lots of resolution and a fairly neutral sound. I already have a Chord Mojo and i'm not very interested in the Hugo.

Thanks in advance!

Jun 13, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 5
Recommending Dac's is kinda tough as I've heard many but on different setups so hard to compare without a a/b listening. I myself would recommend the Yggy without hesitation as it will probably not leave my possession ever. Have yet to see a review side by side of the Yggy and Holo yet. For your size requirements a Audio GD Dac 19 or maybe a Aurilac Vega if you can find it used for your price. There is this one for $1650 https://www.audiogon.com/listings/d...igital-02136-hyde-park-ma?refsource=hifishark . It is a very nice dac . I think the Chords are good but will still pic my Yggy over them. Probably the third best thing I heard at CanJam SoCal this year was the Utopias and Cavalli Liquid Tungsten and a Chord Dave. The other was the Mr Speakers Ether E's and a Blue Hawaii with a Yggy and then the one none can match the Sennheiser HE-1's just about as perfect as a headphone can get IMHO. These are just my thoughts and as always YMMV.

Jun 13, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 5
If you want compact DAC, the Chord 2 Qute should serve you well. IMO, I don't feel the Bifrost Multibit that I use bottlenecks my audio chain.

Jun 13, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 5
Yes, I recently owned the 2Qute and think it's a worthy upgrade over the Modi Multibit. (I haven't heard the Bifrost Multibit, but they're the same aside from the power supply and ability to upgrade the Bifrost Multibit in the future.) The person who has my 2Qute now also has a Modi Multibit and feels the same way. However, it has the same DAC tech as the Hugo.

Jun 14, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 5
For your size requirements a Audio GD Dac 19 or maybe a Aurilac Vega if you can find it used for your price. There is this one for $1650 https://www.audiogon.com/listings/d...igital-02136-hyde-park-ma?refsource=hifishark . It is a very nice dac . the Sennheiser HE-1's just about as perfect as a headphone can get IMHO. These are just my thoughts and as always YMMV.

Thanks for the Vega recommendation that be the ticket. I'm going to look into it for sure. I agree, the HE1 was absolutely bliss for my ears. Truly can't imagine a more perfect sounding headphone.

IMO, I don't feel the Bifrost Multibit that I use bottlenecks my audio chain.

I hear ya on the Bimby. I don't think it hurts my system, just looking for a different taste i suppose and to see if i can squeeze a little more out of my system. Not a bad thing to say about the Bimby.

Yes, I recently owned the 2Qute and think it's a worthy upgrade over the Modi Multibit. (I haven't heard the Bifrost Multibit, but they're the same aside from the power supply and ability to upgrade the Bifrost Multibit in the future.)

I've heard the Hugo and in some ways prefer my Mojo to it. Also not a big fan of it's form factor. I'm gonna pass on the 2Qute but thanks for the suggestion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back