Good DAC under $1600 for my Systems
Apr 4, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #16 of 25
I can't compare DACs either, but I use a Bel Canto DAC2 and am very happy with it in my setup. I have been seeing a lot of these on Audiogon recently for $700, which is really a great deal in my opinion, I paid $800 for mine used.

Apr 4, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #17 of 25
that is a good deal...
i heard the canto 3 will be 2-2.5k so maybe if u wanted that one you could wait til the new one is out

Apr 4, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #18 of 25
A used Electrocompaniet ECD-1 is in your price range also. A really excellent DAC, and I preferred it to the Bel Canto DAC 2, which I really enjoyed for many months in my system.

Apr 4, 2006 at 11:04 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
A used Electrocompaniet ECD-1 is in your price range also. A really excellent DAC, and I preferred it to the Bel Canto DAC 2, which I really enjoyed for many months in my system.

Thanks PhilS but im looking for small DAC
basshead.gif

Apr 4, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #20 of 25
im not sure about the grace, but benchmark and lavry are about the same size IIRC

Apr 4, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #21 of 25
I love my Bel Canto DAC2, but I've never heard another source in this price range.

Apr 4, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #23 of 25
I love my Bel Canto DAC2 as well, and I did hear another source in comparision, namely the Benchmark DAC1. I compared them on my B&W 705 with Rotel amplification and went for the Bel Canto, because it seemed more musical to me.

In fact I wanted to change to the Bench, got the opportunity to try it out, and nevertheless wanted to stick with my bc in the end.

Apr 4, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #24 of 25
I am particularly taken with the non-oversampling type dac's. I especially like the ack dack v2.0 with the teflon cap upgrade. The dack v2.0 has the typical liquid nos midrange combined with excellent bass and treble extension. The v2.0 is $875 with the teflon caps and includes a nice digital cable .... good price and great sound.
icon10.gif

Apr 4, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor
I think for cold accuracy, the Apogee is the winner. For musicality, it maybe the Bel Canto. For a mix of both, the Lavry. I had the least experience with the Lavry, but Canman's rig with the Aleph/Lavry/K1K is a force to be reckoned with. Unfortunately, I was not able to bring my Apogee to see if it was the Aleph or the Lavry that was dealing with the K1K's sibilence issues.

So you didn't actually compare the Mini-Dac and the Lavry in the same setup? I am a bit surprised by your comment as the Apogee is generally regarded as warm and somewhat colored while the Lavry is said to be very precise and detailed (although not bright either). Can you explain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back