Good DAC or good CD player?
Dec 5, 2006 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Binaural Fusion

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, I`m new to Head-fi and pretty new to Hi-fi. I was wondering about upgrading my source with end goal of getting something of good enough calibre to run a RSA Raptor II, or Stax (Sig or Classic). I was wondering if I would be better off upgrading from my NAD T532 to something like a Rega Apollo, or a used Meridian, or buying a good DAC and keeping using it from my NAD. SACD would be nice, but I think I`m going to get the most bang for my buck with CDs cause I do have a limited budget.

So my question is what are the difference between getting a good CD player and getting a good DAC to go with my mediocre DVD and CD player?

Dec 5, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Binaural Fusion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I`m new to Head-fi and pretty new to Hi-fi. I was wondering about upgrading my source with end goal of getting something of good enough calibre to run a RSA Raptor II, or Stax (Sig or Classic). I was wondering if I would be better off upgrading from my NAD T532 to something like a Rega Apollo, or a used Meridian, or buying a good DAC and keeping using it from my NAD. SACD would be nice, but I think I`m going to get the most bang for my buck with CDs cause I do have a limited budget.

So my question is what are the difference between getting a good CD player and getting a good DAC to go with my mediocre DVD and CD player?

I would go with the Apollo in that it's not necessary to to attach a seperate DAC.In other words what you have a quality stand alone CD player or rather one box solution CD player.I owned one for 3 weeks and was quite impressed with it.The only reason I don't have it now is I upgraded to the Saturn.

Dec 5, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 16
What did you use with your Apollo? What made you upgrade?

Another consideration I have is that I could also use a DAC to play music from my computer.

I was mainly wondering about the question of quality, is a good CD player or a DAC better? If I used a DAC on a NAD player or an Esoteric would I notice a difference? Isn't it all just the straight digital from the disc?

Dec 5, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

What did you use with your Apollo? What made you upgrade?

Another consideration I have is that I could also use a DAC to play music from my computer.

I was mainly wondering about the question of quality, is a good CD player or a DAC better? If I used a DAC on a NAD player or an Esoteric would I notice a difference? Isn't it all just the straight digital from the disc?

I was using the Apollo as a dedicated source hooked up to my tube headphone amp via the RCA jacks or the DAC itself.As you already know you have many options.My situation was a needed a quality CD player only and went with the Apollo.The Apollo is currently a break through CD player and at $995 you'll have an all in one solution CD player.Read the reviews.I upgraded to the Saturn because listening to them side by side I thought the Saturn gave an overall better presentation and for $1400 extra it should.If you choose the Apollo I'm sure you won't be dissappointed.However,this all for you to decided.

Dec 5, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 16
If I wasn't a PC as a source person, I'd go CDP personally. I've generally had better return on investment with a CDP than a DAC. Not to say I'm not happy with my current rig mind you
orphsmile.gif

Dec 5, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 16
Wow Solude, Ottawa, Canada- eh? Small world. What do you think the best DAC or CDP for a $1000-1500 (CAD of course) budget is?

Also could somebody weigh in on any sound differences between using digital out on a mid-fi DVD/CD player to a good DAC and just using the audio out of a good CDP? I'm new to this and I want to know if the initial digital source effects the quality of a DAC'd signal.

Dec 6, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Wow Solude, Ottawa, Canada- eh? Small world. What do you think the best DAC or CDP for a $1000-1500 (CAD of course) budget is?

Also could somebody weigh in on any sound differences between using digital out on a mid-fi DVD/CD player to a good DAC and just using the audio out of a good CDP? I'm new to this and I want to know if the initial digital source effects the quality of a DAC'd signal.

To help out,it used to be that most of the older CD players had a sensitivity to "jitter".So in order to reduce these levels of "jitter" a seperate DAC was usually needed.My reasoning is the modern CD players have a better chance of reducing these effects than getting a seperate DAC to attach to your Nad as this would only cause more problems in my option. If you went with the Apollo you need not be concered with "jitter" as it is greatly reduced.It might help you to do a search on "jitter"

Dec 6, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #8 of 16
In that price range I'd jump right back into the MF Tri-Vista 21. Buy it from AudioGon though since some of the people on Canuck don't understand this whole currency conversion thing
tongue.gif

In a stand alone CDP, maybe a Cary unit. I'm not a fan of the Rega house sound so the Apollo and Saturn wouldn't even make my short list
frown.gif
On the cheaper end, Arcam and Music Hall make great CDPs on a budget. I'd avoid the MF cheaper units, X-Ray and such.

Sure there are others but its been a long day and my brain is mush. That and I've been out of the CDP game for a long time. So long that I bought a transport just to compare the PC/Toslink to CDT/Coax
blink.gif

Dec 6, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 16
I just compared my Cary 306/200 cdp alone, with it using a Pioneer DV525 as the transport. I have to say the Cary alone is better. I think a separate cd and dac does introduce jitter and loss of signal through another cable and connections. Thus, to equal the performance would require more dollars. BTW, my Cary is available on Audiogon, only because I need funds for major auto repairs. I'm wiling to negotiate.

Dec 6, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #10 of 16
Thanks neergan, for the comparo. My source upgrade is still a few months off, I only spend money from any extra hours I get at my job towards audio, so right now I am in the research and planning phase of my upgrades. Thanks for the feedback everybody- you gave me a good jumping off point for finding reviews and articles.

Also there is a floor demo model of a Cyrus c8x at a local store for $1600 (CAD)- any opinions on this, and whether it's a good deal?

Dec 6, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

If you are just going to be listening to CDs then it makes sense to just get a good CD player....better return of investment. I'm going the other route because I like having multiple sources. So I spent $1000 on the Benchmark DAC1. When you start looking at the more expensive DACs, they actually are less prone to jitter. Some will argue that they're not immune, but the SQ difference gets to be very minimal (I can't tell much of a difference with optical vs coaxial on my DAC1). So if for some reason you want a DAC, ones to consider are the DAC1, Lavry DA10, and Stello DA100

Dec 6, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #12 of 16
I'm not sure why anyone would buy a standalone CD player (not to mention transport) these days, with the SqueezeBox (and now Transporter) giving you so much more in terms of convenience and flexibility.

Dec 6, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure why anyone would buy a standalone CD player (not to mention transport) these days, with the SqueezeBox (and now Transporter) giving you so much more in terms of convenience and flexibility.

because ultimately standalone CDP sounds better. Much better, unless the transport is slaved, but there is a clocking delay issue.

so DAC for convenience, CDP for quality.

Dec 7, 2006 at 10:09 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

because ultimately standalone CDP sounds better.

Can you explain your reasoning, Chesebert?

A Squeezebox/Transporter playing a FLAC file would be working with the same bitstream as a CDP playing the source CD, so are you assuming that a CDP would have superior downstream processing?

Dec 8, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
because ultimately standalone CDP sounds better. Much better, unless the transport is slaved, but there is a clocking delay issue.

so DAC for convenience, CDP for quality.

I don't think the OP will be slaving his transport, so hence, that is a moot point. I stand by the SqueezeBox/Transporter suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back