Good DAC or CDP for GCHA+K701 combo?
Apr 16, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha an addiction for which just about every member here suffers from!

Personally, in the summer I plan on buying one of these http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/aud...ip-dac-466765/ which will be about half my earnings haha.

I have to spend money NOW while I am a student and don't have any significant expenses!!!

Hellfire,
Poor parents !

The Absolute Sound/Hi-Fi+ Guide to Disc Players, DACs, & Music Servers | AVguide

Have a look at the reviews for the Peachtree nova and iDecco. The unit I have just bought has the same DAC /preamp and headphone amp as the Nova and iDecco. The iDecco also has an ipod dock but otherwise is identical to the Decco 2. The only difference between the Decco 2 and Nova is the more powerful amp of the Nova.
You will see the rave reviews here and elsewhere regarding the DAC and Headphone amp of these units but I kid you not the Yulong is every bit as good if not even more detailed. The amp on the Decco is not it's best point but I didn't buy it for that, I always use 'phones.
Keep listening and keep spending !

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex30 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hellfire,
Poor parents !

The Absolute Sound/Hi-Fi+ Guide to Disc Players, DACs, & Music Servers | AVguide

Have a look at the reviews for the Peachtree nova and iDecco. The unit I have just bought has the same DAC /preamp and headphone amp as the Nova and iDecco. The iDecco also has an ipod dock but otherwise is identical to the Decco 2. The only difference between the Decco 2 and Nova is the more powerful amp of the Nova.
You will see the rave reviews here and elsewhere regarding the DAC and Headphone amp of these units but I kid you not the Yulong is every bit as good if not even more detailed. The amp on the Decco is not it's best point but I didn't buy it for that, I always use 'phones.
Keep listening and keep spending !

To be fair and to put things in perspective, I pay for my books and tuition... College in my province is practically free... it's about 600$ a semester and that includes buying books (although I try to go used). Government subsidization here is second to none.

so, it is not really that hard on my parents. University will be another story, but I still have 2 years left at college!

I just want the Audio GD Ref 7, then to save up for a balanced amp... then I can get all my upgrading from balancing my headphones one at a time! It would be like doubling the headphones I have.

Apr 16, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

To be fair and to put things in perspective, I pay for my books and tuition... College in my province is practically free... it's about 600$ a semester and that includes buying books (although I try to go used). Government subsidization here is second to none.

so, it is not really that hard on my parents. University will be another story, but I still have 2 years left at college!

I just want the Audio GD Ref 7, then to save up for a balanced amp... then I can get all my upgrading from balancing my headphones one at a time! It would be like doubling the headphones I have.

Sorry,
Didn't mean for you to justify your spending but having put two kids through private school and Uni I just dream of the audio gear I could have bought ! lol

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Same headphone, different cables. K701 is a balanced 4 conductor cable, terminated in SE, K702 is a 3 conductor cable terminated in SE. K701 can be reterminated for balanced use. K702 can not without modification.

K70X are rather basslight so you might not ever get the bass you are wanting. I would definitely recommend a decent DAC for it. It is not the best headphone, but certainly a great one and will benefit from a better source. I don't think the yulong is the best idea, it is a DAC/AMP combo, and your 999$ GCHA greatly outclasses a 300$ integrated device. Look for second hand dacs that handle usb.

Nice amp btw.

Thank you sokolov91.
I was planning to get w1000x, but it's just a little over my budget, i thought the k701/gcha combo would be the better choice for me since gcha is on sale. Certainly i want to get w1000x or a2000x in the near future.

I can find CDP like Cambridge 540C under 400 maybe, is it a better choice than dac in this price range?

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

I did not think of that haha. I could picture myself doing that at some job in the future :p.

astomq:

Emotiva Audio ERC-1 Reference Compact Disc Player They are going to be releasing a stand alone DAC based on this CDP in the next month or so for 299.99 USD. It is supposedly on par with the new Oppo BD83SE that costs 899.99 and the DAC is supposed to sound better than the CDP.

It also offers fully balanced output, so when and if you upgrade you amp in the future, you can jump straight to balanced as you will have a capable source.

at 299.99 w/ balanced output, with a discreet output stage, it is definitely something to consider.

Sorry, i didn't see it. It sounds very nice to me, i will keep an eye on it. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back