Good DAC or CDP for GCHA+K701 combo?
Apr 16, 2010 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

astroqm

New Head-Fier
I get the Ps audio gcha amp along with AKG K701 today. From an old post i heard that they are good combo, but actually i find the highs is not smooth as i expect. It's bass light, I like it, but not the kind with high quality, deep punch.

Overall, i like the timbre of K701, it reveals the details and has good soundstage.

As i connect my macbook to GCHA via usb as source, this may be the reason for that. So is there any good budget external DAC or CDP that can fully feed the K701? If they are the same $, which provides a better sound?

PS: K701 just runs for hours, should i expect a big improvement after 100+ hours run-in?

Thanks.

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by astroqm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get the Ps audio gcha amp along with AKG K701 today. From an old post i heard that they are good combo, but actually i find the highs is not smooth as i expect. It's bass light, I like it, but not the kind with high quality, deep punch.

Overall, i like the timbre of K701, it reveals the details and has good soundstage.

As i connect my macbook to GCHA via usb as source, this may be the reason for that. So is there any good budget external DAC or CDP that can fully feed the K701? If they are the same $, which provides a better sound?

PS: K701 just runs for hours, should i expect a big improvement after 100+ hours run-in?

Thanks.

Hi,
I happen to think you have got one of the nicest 'phones out there.
Sure they are not for bass heads but are beautiful for acoustic stuff and IMO are a GREAT all rounder.
I found that the highs exhibited some sibilance and at times could be fragile but has now gone to leave smooth full extension. Can't give you an exact time but it was into the hundreds of hours. It is worth the wait.
As regards a DAC/Headphone amp combo I can unreservedly recommend the Yulong Dah 1 Dac/Headphone amp Mark 2 which you will find on ebay for about £200/
$300 It will drive the AKG with ease and it's clean precise presentation complements the AKG perfectly. It is an amazing unit at an amazing price.
I bought mine from Casqu hifi on ebay as they were the cheapest.
I have just got a Peachtree Decco 2 as I wanted a second unit and whilst it cost me £630/$930 to get it to the UK I can honestly say I consider the Yulong to be its equal sound wise. The Decco also has an integrated amp [speakers can be hooked up directly to the Decco] which the Yulong does not but apart from that I would say go for the Yulong and save loads of cash.
The Yulong also drives the 'phones easier than the Decco 2.
If you went for the Yulong the only downside is the wait. Mine took three weeks to get here. I cannot recommend it highly enough, it sounds fantastic .

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #3 of 20
Alex30,
Thanks for your post. I'm really loving my K701 and it's a great can!
The Yulong dac seems to be a good addon for my system since most musics are in my laptop, I will dig some posts about it.

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Alex30,
Thanks for your post. I'm really loving my K701 and it's a great can!
The Yulong dac seems to be a good addon for my system since most musics are in my laptop, I will dig some posts about it.

Hi,
You may find info a little sparse on the Yulong but please let me know what you find.
I should mention that it needs a couple of hundred hours burn in but still sounds great out of the box.
What made you go for the 701 as opposed to the 702 [detachable cable] , did you get a great deal ?

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex30 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
You may find info a little sparse on the Yulong but please let me know what you find.
I should mention that it needs a couple of hundred hours burn in but still sounds great out of the box.
What made you go for the 701 as opposed to the 702 [detachable cable] , did you get a great deal ?

I can wait hundreds of hours
ksc75smile.gif

I like the white of 701 and it's better made than 702 as i know. I think the sound signature should be pretty close.

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

ksc75smile.gif

I like the white of 701 and it's better made than 702 as i know. I think the sound signature should be pretty close.

Hi,
Good reasons.
I haven't heard the 701 but from everything I have read the sound is said to be identical.
By the way if you do not find much on the Yulong don't let that put you off. It really is a great unit.
I have a friend who is a complete nut on audio, he recently bought his THIRD mains conditioner at a cost of £900 and the rest of his system is on a par cost wise, literally tens of thousands and he uses the Yulong and is more than happy with it.

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

ksc75smile.gif

Same headphone, different cables. K701 is a balanced 4 conductor cable, terminated in SE, K702 is a 3 conductor cable terminated in SE. K701 can be reterminated for balanced use. K702 can not without modification.

K70X are rather basslight so you might not ever get the bass you are wanting. I would definitely recommend a decent DAC for it. It is not the best headphone, but certainly a great one and will benefit from a better source. I don't think the yulong is the best idea, it is a DAC/AMP combo, and your 999$ GCHA greatly outclasses a 300$ integrated device. Look for second hand dacs that handle usb.

Nice amp btw.

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same headphone, different cables. K701 is a balanced 4 conductor cable, terminated in SE, K702 is a 3 conductor cable terminated in SE. K701 can be reterminated for balanced use. K702 can not without modification.

K70X are rather basslight so you might not ever get the bass you are wanting. I would definitely recommend a decent DAC for it. It is not the best headphone, but certainly a great one and will benefit from a better source. I don't think the yulong is the best idea, it is a DAC/AMP combo, and your 999$ GCHA greatly outclasses a 300$ integrated device. Look for second hand dacs that handle usb.

Nice amp btw.

Hi,
I would ask if you have even heard the Yulong? I have and I can tell you it punches above it's weight.
Just because a unit costs more doesn't necessarily make it better.
If ,as I suspect. you have not heard a fully burned in Yulong then your advice is a little unwise.

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Hi,
I would ask if you have even heard the Yulong? I have and I can tell you it punches above it's weight.
Just because a unit costs more doesn't necessarily make it better.
If ,as I suspect. you have not heard a fully burned in Yulong then your advice is a little unwise.

Not saying the Yulong is not a very good value, and no I have not heard it, but given the OPs current equipment, I find there is little sense pouring funds into an integrated item, when he could buy second hand and get a more substantial DAC to go with his more substantial amp. Why spend money indirectly on a second amp? To me, that makes no sense.

I have owned Chinese equipment, and they are indeed good value, but his amp is of very high quality, and there are many DACs to complement it. Especially if he buys second hand, he could get quite a fine DAC for that price, that does not have amp costs included. I did not mean to be offensive.

Audio GD Dacs would be a great thing to look into too.

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #10 of 20
For budget, I would keep my eye on audiogon.com until something price how you want shows up. Best way to get good equipment you can't afford, without going to jail(haha), is buying second hand!

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Not saying the Yulong is not a very good value, and no I have not heard it, but given the OPs current equipment, I find there is little sense pouring funds into an integrated item, when he could buy second hand and get a more substantial DAC to go with his more substantial amp. Why spend money indirectly on a second amp? To me, that makes no sense.

I have owned Chinese equipment, and they are indeed good value, but his amp is of very high quality, and there are many DACs to complement it. Especially if he buys second hand, he could get quite a fine DAC for that price, that does not have amp costs included. I did not mean to be offensive.

Audio GD Dacs would be a great thing to look into too.

Ok,
I get where you are coming from but one nice thing about the Yulong having a headphone amp built in, and it really is a very good one despite the price, is that the unit is very portable so anywhere you have a power source you can have music from your laptop. Up until recently mine used to follow me around the house and also to work!
If you think of it that way it is no longer a waste.

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Ok,
I get where you are coming from but one nice thing about the Yulong having a headphone amp built in, and it really is a very good one despite the price, is that the unit is very portable so anywhere you have a power source you can have music from your laptop. Up until recently mine used to follow me around the house and also to work!
If you think of it that way it is no longer a waste.

I did not think of that haha. I could picture myself doing that at some job in the future :p.

astomq:

Emotiva Audio ERC-1 Reference Compact Disc Player They are going to be releasing a stand alone DAC based on this CDP in the next month or so for 299.99 USD. It is supposedly on par with the new Oppo BD83SE that costs 899.99 and the DAC is supposed to sound better than the CDP.

It also offers fully balanced output, so when and if you upgrade you amp in the future, you can jump straight to balanced as you will have a capable source.

at 299.99 w/ balanced output, with a discreet output stage, it is definitely something to consider.

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

I did not think of that haha. I could picture myself doing that at some job in the future :p.
Hi a

astomq:

Emotiva Audio ERC-1 Reference Compact Disc Player They are going to be releasing a stand alone DAC based on this CDP in the next month or so for 299.99 USD. It is supposedly on par with the new Oppo BD83SE that costs 899.99 and the DAC is supposed to sound better than the CDP.

It also offers fully balanced output, so when and if you upgrade you amp in the future, you can jump straight to balanced as you will have a capable source.

at 299.99 w/ balanced output, with a discreet output stage, it is definitely something to consider.

I listen to music EVERYWHERE !It is a serious addiction which I need serious help for ! lol
This looks interesting . Although I am not in the market for a DAC I must check it out.
Keep listening and take care.

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

I listen to music EVERYWHERE !It is a serious addiction which I need serious help for ! lol
This looks interesting . Although I am not in the market for a DAC I must check it out.
Keep listening and take care.

haha an addiction for which just about every member here suffers from!

Personally, in the summer I plan on buying one of these http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/aud...ip-dac-466765/ which will be about half my earnings haha.

I have to spend money NOW while I am a student and don't have any significant expenses!!!

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #15 of 20
A used BC DAC 2 would do nicely.. Really smoothed out the highs on my gp V5 amp which in my opinion is bright, and the highs, can be at times a lil harsh.. the BC DAC2 also decreases the brightness a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back