Good DAC for the Woo Audio 6
Mar 4, 2010 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

reptillian

Head-Fier
Considering this amp to use with the D7000, however am wondering if the V-DAC by Musical Fidelity is suitable.

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by reptillian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considering this amp to use with the D7000, however am wondering if the V-DAC by Musical Fidelity is suitable.

If you really take the V-DAC, is it the weakest part in your audio chain. Try to find something better!

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 11
The V-DAC sounds fantastic with my Jade amp. It's a really "open" sounding dac - not congested at all, but not too airy, either, and very neutral with really good high and low extension. It pairs especially well with tube and tube-sounding amps, imho.

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #4 of 11
I echo userlander--couldn't be more thrilled with the SQ of my V-DAC/tube amp combo.
DT

Mar 5, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 11
i have a DV, see sig, and used to use a v-dac. then zero dac. and now the california alpha dac. i would really use something better to suit the woo6. that is a very nice amp and requires quite the complimentary dac. the cal dac is not only smooth but articulates quite well. especially with soundstage implementation and the spatial separation of instruments.

Mar 5, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by colinharding /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have a DV, see sig, and used to use a v-dac. then zero dac. and now the california alpha dac. i would really use something better to suit the woo6. that is a very nice amp and requires quite the complimentary dac. the cal dac is not only smooth but articulates quite well. especially with soundstage implementation and the spatial separation of instruments.

That sounds like an interesting DAC to consider. How is the detail compared to the v-dac? Tube + tube is often too "heavy" isn't it, or lacking a bit of detail or refinement compared to SS > tube?

Mar 5, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #8 of 11
Its been my impression of the woo6 at various meets that although it has its own sound it is still transparent enough to let the source through. This is quite a nice quality in an amp.

I would not skimp on the source. Think of it this way:
A good CD player OR standalone DAC has resale appeal to (and can be bought used from) any audiophile. Seriously, how many people would go all fap-o-matic for an old parasound 1100 DAC? I certainly would, as would many speaker based folk. There is plenty of "other" gear and plenty of vintage gear that no longer gets press but is no worse for it. You grow tired of a nice DAC, you resell it through any number of alternate channels besides head-fi.

I would say do some research on a few different sites for a piece of well regarded second hand gear. for sure your frank will fly you a few furlongs further.

Mar 5, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

That sounds like an interesting DAC to consider. How is the detail compared to the v-dac? Tube + tube is often too "heavy" isn't it, or lacking a bit of detail or refinement compared to SS > tube?

well, from the past couple ss DAC's that I had the sound was much to forward and had to much detail. now let me explain. the ss amps gave a huge amount of detail with little distinction between the levels, all of the detail was presented across the same flat plane at the same 'loudness.' With the introduction of the Alpha all the detail was still there but it was meticulously presented all around, and inside of, the soundstage instead of on it. The word I'm looking for i guess is depth, the ss components gave a sense of strong detail in every aspect, where as the tube amp still presented those details but in the right spatial environment. It was as if you could see into the music in an almost concave sense instead of looking at it as if it was projected onto a screen. and yes I would agree with you that tube+tube is often a bit heavy and gains a very muffled punch to it. But the DV is very strong and very authoritative and the Cal dac is a wonderful pair for any tube system. Neither have a very heavy tubey sound to begin with. I hope this all makes sense.

colin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back