Good DAC for CD3000?
Jan 16, 2004 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

loafier

100+ Head-Fier
Hello

I'm thinking about getting an external DAC to attach to my RME digi sound card that mates well with Sony CD3000. I can spend up to $1500.

Would the Electrocompaniet ECD or the Bel Canto DAC2 be a good choice?

Jan 16, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by loafier
Hello

I'm thinking about getting an external DAC to attach to my RME digi sound card that mates well with Sony CD3000. I can spend up to $1500.

Would the Electrocompaniet ECD or the Bel Canto DAC2 be a good choice?

Check audiogon for a chord 64 dac... it's 2100 dollars IIRC but the seller is taking offers...
I emailed him yesterday asking if it was still available and it is.
It's the black version so it's not as stunning looking as the "normal" bare aluminium finish.
There has been some controversy over this dac but wait till you hear it... stunning.
I think its the perfect companion to your slightly upfront cans, the dac tames the highs yet remains detailed.
Otherwise take a look at apogee they have the minidac, which also gives a more analogue sound, with a bit tamed highs.
If you'd like your music to sound more analogue yet transparant with good detail you can't lose with either of those.
the apogee is a bit cheaper also (around 1000 dollars for the USB version which interfaces with PC as well)

Otherwise an audionote model suited to your wallet / liking is also very nice, but these are tubed I do not know if you'd like to go that way....

Jan 16, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 16
After a certain performance level, it's about personal preference and less about absolute performance.

I would choose a DAC with optical input so you can use glass toslink. I'd get some power conditioning also as DAC is sensitive to noise especially if you're plugging it near the PC.

Upgrading from RME already? Why?

Jan 16, 2004 at 6:55 PM Post #4 of 16
About the apogee miniDAC, there is a few dealer recommand me Benchmark DAC1 over the miniDAC.
I am not sure if it's the Benchmark DAC1 would bring them more profit or not, but I have only see one negative review about the Benchmark DAC1.

Jan 16, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 16
I've fallen in love with my Bel Canto DAC2.

It's blowing the MENSA DI/O (and naturally the stock DI/O) out of the water. Which isn't too surprising, considering price differential.
wink.gif

- Chris

Jan 16, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #6 of 16
I wouldn't say DAC2 blows MENSA DI/O out of the water. They're just different. DI/O is sensitive to source and power which makes it more so of a different experience in different setups. I would say the DAC2 + power conditioner + glass toslink would fit in the budget. But some may not like the sound of DAC2 so you could try it from audioadvisor.com

Jan 16, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
I wouldn't say DAC2 blows MENSA DI/O out of the water. They're just different. DI/O is sensitive to source and power which makes it more so of a different experience in different setups. I would say the DAC2 + power conditioner + glass toslink would fit in the budget. But some may not like the sound of DAC2 so you could try it from audioadvisor.com

I dunno. Initially switching from the MENSA to the DAC2 I thought the DAC2 lacked bass, but it was the other way around: the MENSA had way too much bass. I also noticed that the DAC2 is more transparent and oddly less "fatiguing" than the MENSA.

Gonna try Eric's Nitrogen cables soon, which I hope will improve the bass response even further.

- Chris

Jan 16, 2004 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 16
Well performance is relative. Also what is too much bass for you is perfect for somebody else. That's why it's important to try some DAC to see if you even like the sonic character.

I find the MENSA DI/O power sensitive. Those who claim it (or some other sources) grainy or fatuiging could be partially attributed to not running power conditioning I think.

Jan 16, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
Well performance is relative. Also what is too much bass for you is perfect for somebody else. That's why it's important to try some DAC to see if you even like the sonic character.

True. Then again, you could say this about all audio equipment.
wink.gif

- Chris

Jan 16, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
I would choose a DAC with optical input so you can use glass toslink. I'd get some power conditioning also as DAC is sensitive to noise especially if you're plugging it near the PC.

I don't ever think I've seen a data error with coax at short distances (under 5 meters). Of course optical links completely electrically isolate the machine.

Jan 16, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
True. Then again, you could say this about all audio equipment.
wink.gif

Of course. It's just that I find statements like DAC2 blows MENSA out of water or SMART DI/O grainy a bit exaggerated or not showing it's absolute performance.

Music Fanatic, the RME's have been measure to have less jitter on optical output. And I also compared the two and I did prefer the optical.

Jan 17, 2004 at 12:26 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by MoLtoSoLo
About the apogee miniDAC, there is a few dealer recommand me Benchmark DAC1 over the miniDAC.
I am not sure if it's the Benchmark DAC1 would bring them more profit or not, but I have only see one negative review about the Benchmark DAC1.

This is very interesting you mention the BM dac, since I do not have seen any direct comparisons to the two models I was mentioning I was wondering this also, especially since I am looking for a new dac myself.

Maybe the benchmark is indeed better, but since I have not heard that one myself or have a comparison to the minidac I cannot recommend that one

Jan 17, 2004 at 12:41 AM Post #13 of 16
I was thinking of upgrading from the RME because I find it too bright after a lot of listening with my CD3000's. The card sounds a lot more balanced with my Senn hd280, but I don't enjoy listening to music with the hd280's

I'll look into the Chord and Apogee .They seem to have what I want

I'm still curious about the DAC2, too. I might get it on audioadvisor, and give it a try.

About the Benchmark DAC 1, I don't think it will match well with the CD3000. I've read through the forums, and I've heard bad reports about DAC 1 + CD3000. I don't think I will investigate this one further

Jan 17, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #14 of 16
Since you are using a computer, why don't you try equalizing the high end for now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back