Good Customs for under $400?
Feb 17, 2009 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

GosuEric

Head-Fier
I've been looking at getting a pair of Custom IEMs lately, especially with me giving my brother my old Image X10s as a gift. I figured an upgrade to customs would be a good idea, but I'm not entirely sure what would be good.

The only ones I know of are the Sleek Audio Customs, and LiveWires. UEs are way out of my price range (currently) and I'd like to start on the 'lower' end of Customs to see if I believe they're worth it.

How long is the turn-around on most customs? How long does it take to get molds and roughly how much does it cost?

For the Sleeks, they say that they custom tune then to your liking, does that mean that each custom they make sounds different? Like if I were to say I were a basshead they'd make it more bass orientated? I'm not entirely sure what I like to hear, so something like that might confuse me.

If anyone can recommend me other Custom IEM makers as well, that'd be great. I'm open to as many options as there are, and I'd like to be confident that I looked at everything possible.

Feb 17, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 10
Here's some more:

Custom Fit Earbuds - In Ear Monitors - Custom Fit Headphones - Running Headphones - The FreQ
Temporarily closed for reorganisation.
Thread with info.

Alien Ears Custom Molded In Ear Monitors & Earplugs
Alleged to be better at making IEMs than websites.
Thread with info.

I have a pair of the latter on the way. Give me (I hope) a couple of weeks and I'll tell you all about them
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 10
Anyone else have any experience with customs out there?

I'm really interested in grabbing a pair of Customs, mainly because most Universal fit IEMs I've had are a bit uncomfortable for me.

From what I've seen, LiveWires has a very long return time (10+ weeks!) and AlienEars expects you to make your own molds. Personally I'd be willing to pay for professionally made molds, and I assume that'd make a better fit and be much more comfortable.

Sleeks seem to be the ones I'm most interested in, though if I can get them for ~$400 including impressions and such, nothing is out of the question.

Any other recommendations/stories guys?

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by GosuEric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AlienEars expects you to make your own molds.

No, they just give you option of doing it yourself and so avoiding the audiologist fee. It's optional though - I got my impressions made by an audiologist and sent them over when I ordered to save some time.

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 10
Guess I misread their site then.

From their site I can see that they have two lines of headphones, one with detachable cables and one without. Is there any benefit to either? I heard about recabling and such, but I wouldn't know how/where to do any of that anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back