Good Custom Mold Companies in US? (for IE8)
Sep 19, 2009 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sid-Fi

500+ Head-Fier
I'm strongly considering getting some custom molds made for my Sennheiser IE8s. I've done a bunch of Google searches and read a few rave reviews from IE8 users, but all of the custom molds options I'm finding are from companies in the UK (like ACS).

If you know of a good company or two in the states that might offer a good custom mold for IE8, please recommend them! I would really appreciate it.

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 8
Sep 21, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 8
what you are looking for are custom TIPS, not custom moulds. ciustom moulds encase the whole IEM and there are very few options for reshelling dynamic IEMs. but i'll second the recommendation for westone UM56 custom tips

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what you are looking for are custom TIPS, not custom moulds. ciustom moulds encase the whole IEM and there are very few options for reshelling dynamic IEMs. but i'll second the recommendation for westone UM56 custom tips

Starkey calls them "Custom Earmolds for Heaphones".

ListenHear - Custom Earmolds for Headphones

I agree that they are not full molds, and they are going on earphones not headphones. But that's what they call them.

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. They have definitely given me some options to research and consider. I found a picture of a custom ACS tip on IE8 that looks pretty good and wraps around the housing. Any idea how this one would work with IE8 with regards to SQ? I looked into UM56 and they look interesting as well.

I would love to have a custom tip that takes my IE8 to the next level and is comfortable, but I'm a little worried about how they would sound since IE8 is notorious for requiring a light seal and a very shallow fit to shine. Could a custom tip force these results as it would always be a perfect seal? Has anyone heard firsthand accounts of how these custom tips would work with IE8?

I'd hate to pull the trigger and be doomed to the bass heavy dominating horrid sound you can get with IE8 with a "regular" tight and deep seal. However, if one of these worked really well while avoiding these issues it sure would be a dream come true...

Sep 22, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #6 of 8
You probably would get a perfect seal with custom tips. I suppose you could make a special request for grooves or something to be made to reduce the seal.

I don't think westone UM56s would work. The fit onto the earphone would be wrong i believe. The sound tubes of the westones and of the IE8s are vastly different.

Sep 22, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love to have a custom tip that takes my IE8 to the next level and is comfortable, but I'm a little worried about how they would sound since IE8 is notorious for requiring a light seal and a very shallow fit to shine. Could a custom tip force these results as it would always be a perfect seal? Has anyone heard firsthand accounts of how these custom tips would work with IE8?

I'd hate to pull the trigger and be doomed to the bass heavy dominating horrid sound you can get with IE8 with a "regular" tight and deep seal. However, if one of these worked really well while avoiding these issues it sure would be a dream come true...

Strange you should ask this as that's exactly the issue I've just started looking into today. I want the IE8s primarily for classical and jazz and the last thing I want is lots of that "horrid sound." I think perhaps instead I'll go for the Etymotic ER-4Ps with custom earphone sleeves (ACS's term in the UK).

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strange you should ask this as that's exactly the issue I've just started looking into today. I want the IE8s primarily for classical and jazz and the last thing I want is lots of that "horrid sound." I think perhaps instead I'll go for the Etymotic ER-4Ps with custom earphone sleeves (ACS's term in the UK).

Keep in mind that I absolutely LOVE my IE8 and would strongly recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to spring for true customs that cost oh so much more money. It has a very full and powerful sound and truly remarkable sound separation and airiness. In my opinion, you can get around all of IE8s reported weaknesses fairly easily when you get to know them, especially if you have an amp that has nice synergy with them.

I'm using an Ibasso D10 with rolled opamps that go extremely well with IE8 - TLE2141 in Class A with TLE 8201 buffers (an amazing top kit I got from HiFlight). It controls the bass very well and increases soundstage even more (significantly). Between this amp and getting used to the right level of seal, they are stellar in my opinion and an excellent value (especially assuming you don't pay MSRP). I haven't personally tried ER-4P, but have read about most IEMs extensively and can't imagine you would rather have it then IE8 as by most accounts it is significantly better YMMV. Keep in mind many people have tried IE8 that haven't gotten to really learn the right seal/fit or paired it with the right amp (though many have of course) so a lot of negative comments I see describe sounds that I never receive from mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back