Good contemporary music?
Jan 2, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #16 of 22
Have you checked out Nick Cave? To me, he's one of the, if not THE, most interesting songwriters and artists alive. Also, since you mentioned Cohen, Nick Cave did a haunting cover of Avalanche on his album From Her To Eternity. That's NOT an easy album to get into, though, so if you want to get something more easily listened to, check out Murder Ballads, for instance, or his newest double album Abattoir Blues/The Lyre Of Orpheus.

Mar 1, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by clemens
Have you checked out Nick Cave? To me, he's one of the, if not THE, most interesting songwriters and artists alive. Also, since you mentioned Cohen, Nick Cave did a haunting cover of Avalanche on his album From Her To Eternity. That's NOT an easy album to get into, though, so if you want to get something more easily listened to, check out Murder Ballads, for instance, or his newest double album Abattoir Blues/The Lyre Of Orpheus.

I second the Nick Cave recommendation. Listening to Live Seeds as I type this, the version of From Her to Eternity is incredible - sheer, gruellung intensity. I hope they tour again soon.

Just picked up Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus. First impressions are pretty good, at least for the first disc. Certainly very groovy, thanks in part to the gospel choir! I'd probably also recommend Let Love In as another accessible Nick Cave release.

Mar 1, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
Here's one from 1997 that you may like with a review dug up from the dusty archives as Perfect From Now On - Davey's first Head-Fi review. But there's tons of great new records being talked about all the time around here whether it be Mark Lanegan or the Futureheads or the Honeydogs or Pinback or Fiery Furnaces or Electrelane or Blonde Redhead or Autolux or Augie March or the Libertines or a hundred others. I'd say give the new Mark Lanegan Band Bubblegum a shot. Great lyrics throughout and fantastic music. Gets by with a little help from his friends including the always loveable Polly Jean Harvey who pops up on two of the most majestic tracks ("Hit the City" and "Come to Me"), plus Izzy and Duff from GNR on backing vocals ("Strange Religion"). And of course his old QOTSA buddies, Josh Homme and Nick Oliveri, popping out here and there. And Afghan Whigs/Twilight Singers leader Greg Dulli puts in some time in the mix as well. It rocks and seethes with lots of bluesy energy throughout. One of the best rock voices of the modern era.

I agree with two bands mentioned here. I found The Futureheads album was one my favourite favourite albums of 2004, they done a very good cover of Kate Bush's 'Hounds of love'. Blueberry Boat by the Fiery Furnaces would come in my top five.

Also check out alot of the stuff by Sonic Youth, not just Sonic Nurse as earlier posted.

Mar 2, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #19 of 22
I've posted this in several threads so I won't re-state too much.

Try this internet stream for some really creative programming. Listen awhile - I'm sure you'll hear something that you'll like.

Use the AAC link - it sounds great.

Mar 2, 2005 at 8:42 AM Post #20 of 22
I don't know about some of these recommendations... they may be good music but they're not the smoothest way to transition from 70's prog to new indie rock and pop etc. For instance, I think you're gonna be like me and find animal collective - sung tongs highly annoying (although it made a lot of top ten lists this year). Ditto for Bjork probably although i'm a fan too. A big thumbs up for De-loused in the Comatorium by The Mars Volta though. As well, my dad's into all the bands you mentioned and he's become a big porcupine tree fan of late as well. Archer Prewitt's "Wilderness" has a folky 70's kinda sound and i think it's great. Junior Boys "Last Exit" also has a very 80's electronica kind of sound and I'm a fan as well. For folk music, check out Kings of Convenience "Riot on An Empty Street". And if you're feeling daring, Kanye West "college dropout" is a hip-hop album that's easier than most for people that aren't into hip-hop to get into. dem's my 2 cents
600smile.gif

Mar 2, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #21 of 22
I would still recommend The Futureheads. My dad, who is a massive The Jam and Paul Weller fan likes The Futureheads and says they actually sound very similar. He says the lead vocalist of The Futureheads sounds like Weller. You can cleary tell The Jam were an influence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back