Good computer speakers
Oct 15, 2007 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Antony6555

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for good computer speakers, ones that can be connected directly to the computer. All of the speakers of this type I've heard have been terrible sounding. Are there any good speakers like this? I am looking for a neutral or bright sound.

If there aren't what are some other options?

Oct 15, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 13
i bought the insignia bookshelves (ns-b2111?) for ~$65 including cables, and then bought a used HT receiver on craigslist for $40.

for ~$100 you get awesome budget sound!

Oct 17, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alot of people will tell you to avoid PC speakers and go for a receivers and HT speakers. This may be your best bet but you will have to invest more money.

I would be willing to pay more for better sound. I am looking for a neutral sound, though if it has to be colored, I prefer bright to dark. I mostly listen to classical and ambience. What would you suggest in terms of reasonably priced recievers and HT speakers? Also, what are the prices going to be for these types of systems? If they're too high, I might have to stick with regular computer speakers.

Oct 17, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKazador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's tons to look into, whats your budget?

Around $400, though I would prefer to pay less.

Considering this is my budget, would it make more sense to go with computer speakers or a reciever and HT speakers?

Oct 19, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #10 of 13
$400 can get you an awesome 2.0 setup or more

first, try getting a receiver/amp of some sort on craigslist/ebay/audiogon/etc. as long as it is powerful enough, the speakers should just be a simple waiting game for the right price to come by.

ifall things go well, you can spend ~$60 on an amp and then around ~$200 on a pair of good speakers. just do some research and scrounge around for good deals on stuff.

Oct 19, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #11 of 13
I use a pair of M-Audio BX-5, and am quite happy with them.

Oct 19, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #12 of 13
I second macbrush on the BX-5a monitors. Though, you can't exactly connect them "directly to the computer" unless you have an appropriate soundcard. I picked them up and an EMU-0404 USB from Guitar Center for about $400. I still wonder how the M-Audio StudioPhile AV 20 speakers sound. Try those for me and let me know
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #13 of 13
Here are your choices, ranked in order of value for the money for your particular use:

1. Computer speakers.
2. Studio monitors.
3. Separate amplifier + speakers.

#1 is the safest bet because it's designed with your purpose in mind. #2 will net you better sound quality, but at an increase in price and a decrease in functionality (since volume is harder to control without an actual knob, but that's just my opinion
tongue.gif
). #3 will give you the widest variety of choices, but you may be paying for features that you'll never use, and might still end up with worse sound quality than with the other two choices.

Which computer speakers have you heard? For $150 or less, the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 set seems like a good value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back