good computer speakers for music?
Mar 26, 2007 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

scottymac

Head-Fier
i'm about to order the Logitech Z-5300e 5.1 speakers. upgrading from creative inspire t5400 speakers. $200 speakers for almost half the price sounds good to me...

I primarily listen to mp3s/music on my computer (mainly metal, but some ambient stuff here and there), and a little gaming (just world of warcraft right now). unless there is some superior choice for around $150, does anyone see anything wrong with these speakers?

Mar 26, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 18
There's a good speakers for ~thread in speakers/cables/accessories. I'd go check that out.. they arent expressedly for computer speakers, but they really fit your price range and you can connect them all to your computer so.. yeah
smily_headphones1.gif

It's been a couple weeks since I've looked at that thread but you should be able to find it without too much digging.

Mar 26, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #3 of 18
i really really really love my swans m200 speakers that can be had for around $200

they're 2.0 bookshelf speakers --- you can find them at www.newegg.com

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #4 of 18
I've been told that the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 is a great comp system. Thats what I am planning to get.

Mar 26, 2007 at 10:28 AM Post #5 of 18
Since your first post stated that you need computer speakers for music, i would highly suggest going for a 2.1 system. As stated above, the Swans M200 are highly regarded and you can always add a sub later if the wallet permits it. Another in your range are the LS-X speakers from av123.com but these will require an amp to drive them.

Mar 26, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #6 of 18
A friend just bought the acoustic energy 2.1 system the "Aego M". He paid about £100 for it in a high-street shop, and its actually pretty damn decent. The speakers are a LOT heavier and more solid than you might imagine, and the sound is pretty sweet, certainly fantastic for a desktop system. Not sure if you can get them stateside, but in the UK they are a GREAT option right now.

Mar 26, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #7 of 18
If you are on a budget the logitech X230 2.1 system deliver quite a good sound for around 50€ and is availlable in most high street shops. If you are willing to spend more or order trough the web you may find better tough.

Mar 26, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #9 of 18
If your budget is small I'd recommend the Edifier S2.1D. They're a bit tough to find, but if you can get them they're probably the best $75 computer speakers I've ever heard. Well constructed too, MDF and not plastic for the satellites and the sub is a tank. Far better than the Logitech 2.1's IMO.

Mar 27, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your budget is small I'd recommend the Edifier S2.1D. They're a bit tough to find, but if you can get them they're probably the best $75 computer speakers I've ever heard. Well constructed too, MDF and not plastic for the satellites and the sub is a tank. Far better than the Logitech 2.1's IMO.

X2 for the Edifier S2.1D.

Out of all of my computer systems, Monsoon mm-700, Monsoon mm-1000, Monsoon PM-14, my Edifiers sound the most neutral and accurate. (alto the PM14 arent too shabby)
wink.gif
I currently am using an AR coaxial in for the Edifiers and some 12ga Vampire Wire to the satellites (had to put on some gold pin terminals) Very decent system tho, nothing plastic or cheap about it, except for maybe the volume control pod. No issues with it tho after at least 2 years running now.
cool.gif
I think i had to pay around $125 for mine tho
blink.gif

Mar 27, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jondl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since your first post stated that you need computer speakers for music, i would highly suggest going for a 2.1 system. As stated above, the Swans M200 are highly regarded and you can always add a sub later if the wallet permits it. Another in your range are the LS-X speakers from av123.com but these will require an amp to drive them.

those will blow away all other speakers mentioned so far in this thread.... but then again they require external amplification

Mar 27, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowVlican /img/forum/go_quote.gif
those will blow away all other speakers mentioned so far in this thread.... but then again they require external amplification

Just beware of EMI interfering with your monitor if you're using a CRT. A good quality speaker magnet will affect it from a surprising distance away, if not shielded. Since these are 'monitors' and the standard form of shielding has some negative consequences for sound quality, I doubt they are. If you're using an LCD monitor you would be fine.

Mar 30, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jondl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Funny, since those two were exactly my two considerations. At the end I concluded a dedicated speaker setup was an overkill and not feasible for not-so-perfect lisetning environment in my room. Once the newegg's open box specials for $130ish shipped became available again, I bit the bullet.

The m200s definitely sound colored to me, warm and smooth which happens to be to my liking. The swans totally outclass the kilpsch promedias (IMO) and compare quite favorably to the S2-4100s they replaced; the only thing I give up is less prominent bass impact on trans collection of mine (huge Kotoko fan here), but thats where headphones come into play. It didnt even take a full day to get used to them, and now I reached a point where I dont want to invest more in speakers. Very pleased with my purchase
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #14 of 18
I've got behringer MS-40 speakers and for the price I paid for them they are doing great. They are near field monitors so no problems with CRTs there. It's something you might want to look in to. If you can get them for a decent price they are absolutely worth it. Note that you can't really use them for monitoring anything.

Mar 31, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #15 of 18
Hi Enoyin

I'm quite interested to know more about the Behringer MS-40's you mentioned.
They seem very good and nicely priced.

Like the OP, also looking for a speaker set that is better (for music listening) than the Logitech/Creative PC solutions.

I havent seen any opinions/reviews of the MS-40s so I'm be interested to hear more about them from you.

Many thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back