Good Closed 'Phones?
Jan 29, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #76 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI - An extension cable would have fixed the cable problem on the ESW9s and then you still would have a short cable for portability. An extension cable wouldn't degrade SQ. Well, hope you're happy with your purchase.

I don´t know I´m kinda against "unnecessary" connections in the audio chain. Probably wouldn´t have any effect, but you newer know
tongue.gif

You do make a valid point there, hmmm now you got me all doubting again :/

Jan 29, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #78 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by TKvC-SainT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But then I did some thinking and realised that the Zu cable probably wouldn´t be of much use since it´s just 1m long.

Huh?

Jan 29, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #79 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, you can always recable and achieve the same effect. I still would never use the D2000s portably due to size, loose fit, and bad isolation but that's personal. At least they look sweet though
wink.gif

Actually after thinking about the whole extention cord thing I mailed A.C. and asked if it would be okay to switch for a pair of ESW9s, they cost the exact same so if possible I could do a switch without any adding or subtracting to the amount payed.

However I´m positive I´ll be happy with either one. Just when I come to think about things the ESW9s would be better for the portable part, which is kind of the main reason for getting these. And with an extention cord for the cable I could also use them at home if I want to.

Jan 29, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #80 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh?

The ZU cable with that one is only 1 meter long, which would pretty much make it useless to me, as I have about 2 - 2,5 meters from my amp to my listening position.

Jan 29, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #81 of 90
Quote:

The ZU cable with that one is only 1 meter long, which would pretty much make it useless to me, as I have about 2 - 2,5 meters from my amp to my listening position.

you can get the zu in longer lengths.

Jan 29, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #82 of 90
Quote:

He was talking about a used pair that had already be recabled, thus the length of 1 m.

Jan 29, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #83 of 90
Quote:

Yes, but if you read what I wrote. It says that this guy on Head-Fi PMed me with a offer of a pair of K271Ss and also a 1 meter ZU Mobius cable with that, for a very reasonable price.

*Edit* Oh dang! PenDragon got there before me
tongue.gif
And also you can replace the cable with the K271S freely as they use a detachable cable
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #84 of 90
Quote:

Yes, but if you read what I wrote. It says that this guy on Head-Fi PMed me with a offer of a pair of K271Ss and also a 1 meter ZU Mobius cable with that, for a very reasonable price.

*Edit* Oh dang! PenDragon got there before me
tongue.gif
And also you can replace the cable with the K271S freely as they use a detachable cable
smily_headphones1.gif

I see. I missed that in your edits. It would be easier to just make a new post as I don't go reread posts to look for edits.

Yep, I have a K271 and have my own cable for it. You could have snagged the used and sell the cable and get a longer length. The Zu sell easily, from what I can tell.

Feb 8, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #85 of 90
So today I finally got my package from AudioCubes...

Hmm, what have we here...
bild

Ahh, here´s the beauty inside the beast
smily_headphones1.gif

bild

Don´t believe I´ve ever seen a pic of the beautiful box these come in.

Here they are coupled with my (at the moment) only capable media player...
bild

Can´t wait to get to plug these in to my L D Mk4SE when it gets here
cool.gif

Hey! Something has gone missing here
eek.gif

bild

That´s because they´re on my head delivering sonic bliss!
biggrin.gif

Also everything that came with them are in this pic.

Last but not least, a beautyshot of the wonderful wooden cups on these
bild

Feb 8, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #86 of 90
Enjoy!

Feb 8, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #87 of 90
Congratulations!
The ESW9 are a really great looking pair of headphones. Probably sound good as well..
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #89 of 90
Did I already mention the Proline 750? With a cable upgrade (RAL, Moon), they sound great. Maybe they were a bit disproportional on the bottom end, but definitely offered some of the most raw and captivating midrange--especially female vocals--that I've ever heard: it felt like I was not just near, but actually inside, the vocalist.

Feb 9, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #90 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by brainsalad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TKvC-SainT-
I also need a set of closed cans. I have been following this thread because of your experience with K701's.

So what's the verdict? How do they compare?

I would say they are quite different sounding.

The K701s are analytical and "neutral" sounding. While the ESW9s are fun and "forgiving". Don´t get me wrong here the K701s can definitly be fun and make you feel the music. But the ESW9s are just more instant, they always deliver the fun sound, even when the recordings aren´t all that good, with the K701s I almost always tend to turn on some music with decent to high quality, as the lower quality stuff sometimes makes me tired of listening to it (though usage with an amp remedies that pretty well). Also I have to say that the bass is crazy on the ESW9s right now, really nice quality bass though, could have been a bit tighter (hope that some burn-in will take 'em there). Listened to "Massive Attack - Teardrop" and I was blown away buy the powerful bass they produced.

I do have to add that I´ve been without my amp for a month soon so all the listening I´ve been doing have been through my Nokia 5310 cellphone (which is a really competent DAP, for being a phone that is). So I haven´t really been able to drive my K701s as they deserve. I also think the ESW9s will do good with some amping, probably could take care of that slightly "loose" bass.

These are just kind of first impressions though, some burn-in, my L D Mk4SE amp and also better listening mood (having sort of a cold going I think, also I´ve had some fatigue and headache today). So I´ll probably be back later on with some more solid comments on these.

But I can say this, I´ve found what I was looking for. A pair of nice portable, good looking complementary 'phones to my K701s. They are contrasted enough to make it worth owning both of them, but not so far apart that it becomes something completley different.

*Edit* Ok wait now this is wierd, but right now listening to some Tori Amos I don´t have the same crazy power bass at all. Quite the opposite, controlled and deep, just seems right somehow. So I think that I did read in some thread about these that they deliver mega bass when in the recording, and more subtle bass when that is needed, so no constant bass monsters these cans.

I do have to say I´m falling for these cans. From memory I´d say that they sound kind of like when I had my K701s connected to my old L D Mk4. A little more intimate sounding, not as spacious, though I don´t expect that from a pair of portable closed 'phones. Makes me really interested in what the higher end Audio Technica "woodies" sound like (see W5000
biggrin.gif
)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back